Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

User Tag List

My laptop is turned off with no battery and won't charge

This is a discussion on My laptop is turned off with no battery and won't charge within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi my windows xp hp pavilion entertainment pc is turned off and won't charge, I think it might be the

Closed Thread

Old 08-06-2009, 02:45 PM   #1

Red Faced

Hi
my windows xp hp pavilion entertainment pc is turned off and won't charge, I think it might be the plug but I'm not sure...
It's so annoying cos I can't do anything until I get some advise...
Can anyone help me?!?!?
Thanks...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-06-2009, 03:25 PM   #2
Troubled

Your laptop isn't going to "charge" with out a battery installed, because there is no battery in it to charge. Do you mean, it doesn't power up without the battery installed but the power adapter attached? Then you may have a bad power supply and or DC adapter on the laptop.
Old 08-06-2009, 08:57 PM   #3
God (TSF Enthusiast)

My System

Send a message via AIM to ahmorrow Send a message via Yahoo to ahmorrow

I work on laptops and desktops in my spare time but had a job for about a year working on the hp/compaq line of laptops. I'm not certified but I mean come on. You take apart one mini-computer you've taken apart them all.

You're saying one of two things. It won't turn on without the battery in or the battery won't charge (no battery = no battery charge). Either way it's a good diagnosis. It means either your AC adapter is DEAD, your DC connection--the thing you plug the adapter into--is broken, or a combination of the two. Then again there always could be some problem with the motherboard somewhere along the line, but we'll work through that later.

For now, try using a different adapter if you have one laying around or know a friend with the same AC adapter--read the big ugly box for details and be sure the voltage matches. That won't help diagnose the battery, but should at least rule out the AC adapter. Alternatively if you have a multimeter you can test the adapter by plugging it into the wall, sticking the red probe in the adapter and touching the outside with the black probe. Almost no risk of electrical shock and the most you'll get is a tingling sensation--unless you have a pacemaker... then you're probably going to be flopping around for some time.

Anyway, test the AC adapter in one of those ways. If the borrowed adapter works, then yours is dead and you need a new one. Anywhere from $5 at a Goodwill to $20-30 at a small computer shop to anywhere from $15-60 at a retail computer store like Circuit City or Radio Shack.

Anyway, let us know what's going on.