Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

User Tag List

my compter says its capacity is only 10 gigs???

This is a discussion on my compter says its capacity is only 10 gigs??? within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Ok so my girlfriend pulled out her old laptop and turned it on. and she looked at the memory and

Closed Thread

Old 07-09-2009, 01:45 PM   #1

Ok so my girlfriend pulled out her old laptop and turned it on. and she looked at the memory and the TOTAL memory was only 10 gigs. It did only have 10 gigs remaining or anything like that (thats what everyone else thot i was talking about) no it has 10 gigs total memory. and i KNOW its hard more than that because it used to be my main computer. help me plzzzzzzz
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-09-2009, 02:02 PM   #2

start > run > type in "diskmgmt.msc" without the quotes.

screenshot please.
Old 07-10-2009, 05:00 PM   #3

https://s146.photobucket.com/albums/r...untitled-5.jpg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-11-2009, 08:28 PM   #4

thanks for the screenshot, apologies for the lag on my response.

XP is only using 10GB of what looks like an 80GB hard drive. please download UBCD and then run the partition tool of your choice to resize that partition to use the unallocated space.
Old 07-11-2009, 11:47 PM   #5

can you tell me step by step what to do? cuz im not to good with computers =(
Old 07-12-2009, 12:02 AM   #6

you need disk partitiong software. If you are not that good with computers I recomend you let someone who does know.

Another way you could do this (without third party software)- if there is nothing important on the computer (loose everything) then reinstall the OS and delete all partitions then make a single partition on the hard drive.
Old 07-13-2009, 08:00 AM   #7

sorry about the wait.

download the UltimateBootCD from the link i provided before.

download deepburner.

launch deepburner and choose "Burn ISO Image". select the UBCD .iso image and burn it.

boot off of the cd.

load up ranish partition manager, or the partition resizer and resize the existing 10GB partition.

i don't remember the exact steps with those programs. i'll look at them when i get into the shop.

keep me up to date.
Old 07-13-2009, 08:20 AM   #8
Registered Member

Another way is to download a Knoppix (Linux) ISO and burn that, boot the system with it and run the program qtparted. This will also allow you to resize the partition. AvrgCompUser: Just to explain a little bit, basically when this Windows install was setup, it was told to only use 10GB of the drive. When you resize the partition, you are simply extending the boundaries of what the operating system considers usable space, so then you can use the whole drive.
Old 07-13-2009, 10:46 AM   #9
elf
TSF Team Emeritus
Microsoft Support

My System

Send a message via AIM to elf

Or just right click the unallocated space and create a new partition on it. That way you don't have to worry about resizing partitions or potentially losing any data. You will still get the same amount of space out of the drive, it will just show as a second drive instead of all one one.

If TSF has helped you, Tell us about it! or Donate to help keep the site up!
I do not subscribe to threads, so if I stop replying, PM me with a link to your thread so I can find it again.
Old 07-13-2009, 02:38 PM   #10

elf's suggestion is a good one.

if you choose that route, make sure you are aware of your drive space on C:\ and that you install programs or move music or whatever to the new partition.
Old 07-13-2009, 07:22 PM   #11

Am I missing something (don't see a screen shot) but he stated his issue is MEMORY - NOT - HDD capacity?

Monk
Old 07-13-2009, 11:15 PM   #12

hello AvrgCompUser,

I would go with (elfs) seggustion

it will enhace your security some what for if you system does get infected the data that you place on that partition will have a better chance of surviving

but this is what i would do

once you get the partition created and formated go to your (My Documents)in the start menue and right click it

this will give you a choice to move everything installed in My Documents / you just need to know what drive you want it to go to

so lets say the drive got named the (D) then you will send it to (d) drive / now you will be asked if you (are sure you want to do this) or some thing like that

say (yes

then reboot

you will also have to go into Windows Media Player and tell it where to look for you music to which is now on the (D) drive

now windows will know that you have moved (My Documents) and know where to save data /music/ pictures with doing this this way

now to explain some

the space on your hard drive is called (free space)and many other things but it does reserve some space on the hard drive for (Page File ) also know as (Virtual memory) and this is because your system may run low on (RAM)also known as (Random Access Memory) to which is (Memory) that gets installed to the motherboard , your system will not boot or run with out this type / now (Virtual Memory / Page File) is really slow and your system only uses it if it has to but does get used while your system is turned on / now if you have a large amount of (Ram )( at least 2.5 gigs or more) installed in your system the Virtual Memory/ Page File can be turned off / some people turn it off at 2 gigs of Ram

also if you have a desktop with more then one hard drive installed you can move the Virtual Memory /Page File can be moved to that drive if it has been set up propperly & partition correctly to wich will give a performance boost / now this has to be an installed extra hard drive / Slave Drive

now if your single drive (Master Drive) and it is partioned then this will not enhance the performance of yor system if you move the Virtual Memory / Page File to another partion on the master drive for it will still be on the master drive

now Virtual Memory / Page File can be ajusted but Ram can not but it can be upgraded to a bigger Ram Chip but then it also depends on your motherboard and what it is designed to have installed on it (Ram Compassity) to which some motherboards are limited to 512 mb or 1024 mb or even 4096 mb, but then you have software limets also like windows 32bit and 64bit and also the differnt version of software as in Windows XP home and Wndows XP Pro
and yet there is other software that will let you install even more

then you also have to concider the amount of ram that could be installed on your motherboard for onboard Video

also if you have a after market Video card install it depends on how much the card has installed on it

so their are many factors
Old 07-14-2009, 03:41 AM   #13
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HMonk View Post
Am I missing something (don't see a screen shot) but he stated his issue is MEMORY - NOT - HDD capacity?

Monk
His second post includes a screen shot. He did say memory but we all know he is just using the wrong term. Most people do not have 10 Gigabytes of memory He is talking about hard drive space.
Old 07-14-2009, 09:23 AM   #14

Got it - thanks Tech . . .

Monk
Closed Thread