Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

User Tag List

msinfo32.exe

This is a discussion on msinfo32.exe within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Does anyone know where the System Infoprmation (msinfo32.exe) retrieves the BIOS version from, and what's the deal if the shown

Closed Thread

Old 06-01-2006, 06:47 AM   #1
TSF Team Emeritus, Articles Team

Does anyone know where the System Infoprmation (msinfo32.exe) retrieves the BIOS version from, and what's the deal if the shown version is not the actual one?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-01-2006, 07:45 PM   #2
TSF Team Emeritus
Microsoft Support

OS: XP Home SP3 x3 /XP Pro SP3/Vista Ultimate SP2/Win7 Pro 64-BIT

When Windows starts, the OS loads information about the main computer BIOS and video BIOS and stores the following information under the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\HARDWARE\DESCRIPTION\System registry subkey:

SystemBiosDate
SystemBiosVersion
VideoBiosDate
VideoBiosVersion

This information appears in the registry for informational purposes only; changing these items' values has no effect on the system.

https://www.windowsitpro.com/Article/...043/39043.html
Old 06-01-2006, 08:04 PM   #3

Gee, Geekgirl, thanks a lot!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-02-2006, 04:32 AM   #4
TSF Team Emeritus
Microsoft Support

I hope this satisfied your curiosity or an issue that you were having
Old 06-02-2006, 04:51 AM   #5

Yeah, unfortunately it's an issue... When a troubleshooting process goes to extremes (and there are Bios version effects that come into play), you suddenly become wickedly cautious even for the most minute details - things you could normally overlook.

And since the mobo in question is a dual-Bios Gigabyte, I wanted to make sure that the Main Bios (the updated one) was the one being actually booted.

And as far as my expression of praise and admiration is concerned, I have only one thing to say: when due respect is due, what else can a cool dude do?
Old 06-02-2006, 05:07 AM   #6
TSF Team Emeritus
Microsoft Support

This type of motherboard setup helps a motherboard recover from any issues that may happen during a BIOS update, it helps protect the BIOS from any potential virus, and it helps with any other issues that may arise related to the BIOS. IMO, and I may be incorrect on this, if it is reporting the wrong BIOS verion, I would say the backup version has kicked in as the main BIOS chip may have gone bad.

What has been done to this board if you dont mind me asking?
It is possible to change the BIOS chip on the board, although I can say I have never peformed such a task
Old 06-05-2006, 03:19 AM   #7

OK, Geekgirl, I believe it's time I dealt with this matter more agressively. (And, yes, the dual Bios feature in Gigabyte motherboards is great; and that's the reason why 8KNXP was selected for this pc in the first place).

First of all (i.e., before moving on to the rest of the troubleshooting process - and in order to keep this thread orderly and methodical), I think we should clarify for good the "actual BIOS version running" issue. Since msinfo32.exe loads information about the main computer BIOS and video BIOS and stores the relevant information under the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\HARDWARE\DESCRIPTION\System registry subkey every time the OS starts, then I cannot see any justification for said subkey to reflect an incorrect value.

However, at Gigabyte they don't worry this is an issue of concern, as can be seen form their reply...
This is the question I had originally posted to their technical service:
Quote:
I've just updated my Main BIOS version from F10 to F13. However, my System Infoprmation (msinfo32.exe) displays that my BIOS version is F5 - not the correct F13. On the other hand, the @BIOS utility recognizes the correct BIOS version. What should I do to rectify this; i.e. so msinfo32 shows the current BIOS version?
Here is the answer I was given:
Quote:
As to the problem you mentioned, please try to reboot the computer and check the BIOS version at post. This will be the one with correct information. If the BIOS was incorrect with older version, please try to use Q-Flash tool to update BIOS and Load Optimized afterwords.
So, these are the "conflicting" messages I get for my Bios version:
The post at start-up and the @BIOS utility state the updated version: Intel i875P AGPSet BIOS for 8KNXP F13 AWARD BIOS.
In System Infoprmation this version is given instead: Award Software International, Inc. F5, 2/9/2005.

And then, I ran HP's System Diagnostics utility (which probably reads the same Registry entries as msinfo32.exe), and I got: BIOS Version: GBT - 42302e31, BIOS Date: 09/02/05. I compared this to the log before the Bios update, which read: BIOS Version: GBT - 42302e31, BIOS Date: 03/05/04.
And it hit me! It's the release dates that count, not the number at Fx!(I checked the dates at https://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Support/M...tName=GA-8KNXP.)

So, I'm now pretty sure the actual Bios running is F13 - not the un-updated F5.

And that means, also, that we can move on to the actual troubleshooting of my issue, a significant aspect of which is discussed in a separate thread of TechSupportForum: https://www.techsupportforum.com/showthread.php?t=101894
Old 06-05-2006, 08:01 AM   #8
TSF Team Emeritus
Microsoft Support

Do you wish me to close this thread ?
Old 06-05-2006, 08:22 AM   #9

Yes, I believe this matter was well taken care of.
Old 06-05-2006, 12:26 PM   #10
TSF Team Emeritus
Microsoft Support

This thread will be closed. The user has stated he/she is not needing additional assistance. If you need this thread re-opened please pm a moderator.