Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

User Tag List

Mouse Pointer moving and clicking: How to fix?

This is a discussion on Mouse Pointer moving and clicking: How to fix? within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I am having problems with my mouse pointer moving. I was doing my normal work when my mouse pointer suddenly

Closed Thread

Old 02-04-2010, 10:30 AM   #1

Question

I am having problems with my mouse pointer moving.

I was doing my normal work when my mouse pointer suddenly started moving around the screen, clicking occasionally on applications, menus, and icons. Sometimes it right clicks and sometimes it left clicks... this is dangerous.

I did some searching, and have taken some steps. First, I have run my Avast virus checker on the machine... it checks out clean. I disconnected my computer from the network, physically unplugged the cable, in case somebody was playing with me via remote PC. No dice. I checked the process list for a process called "mousemove.exe", but it's not there.

Rebooting doesn't help, and the same thing happens immediately after rebooting and logging back in. It doesn't matter what applications are running.

I cannot work like this... what is going on and how can I fix it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-04-2010, 10:37 AM   #2
Troubled

My System

unplug all mouses from the machine and see if it moves.
Try a different mouse. If you are using a wireless mouse the receiver may be picking up some other signal similar to your mouses and move.
Old 02-04-2010, 11:00 AM   #3

It is not the mouse. My computer is a laptop in a docking station. When I undock it and run the laptop standalone with no mouse, I see the same behavior.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-05-2010, 11:37 AM   #4
Registered Member

Sometimes this simply move will fix this strang behavior.

Ctrl panel>mouse>pointer options. Uncheck "enhance pointer precision" if it
is checked.
Closed Thread