Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

User Tag List

Mouse & Keyboard

This is a discussion on Mouse & Keyboard within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Greetings all I'm trying to save my dads PC which is starting to play up. It's a Mesh model running

Closed Thread

Old 07-03-2016, 04:10 AM   #1
Registered Member

Greetings all

I'm trying to save my dads PC which is starting to play up. It's a Mesh model running Windows XP still. The problem is on the log in screen, the mouse is no longer functioning. After you log in, the mouse is still not working.

This is a USB mouse, the keyboard (which is working) is PS/2. I bought a USB to PS/2 adaptor for the mouse, thinking this could jump around the problem until I could fix the USB issues, but that hasn't worked either...

Yes I've tried it with another mouse, no a USB keyboard doesn't work either and yes I will be able to send any additional information your way if you could spell it out for me please...I'm only semi-tech savvy.

Many thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-03-2016, 06:12 AM   #2
Team Manager
Microsoft Support

OS: Windows10. In the past CP/M, DOS, Windows 95, 2000, 98SE, ME, Vista & Windows 7

My System

Any yellow marks in the Device manager?

The stability of an OS is in direct proportion to the stability of the user.
Old 07-03-2016, 06:56 AM   #3
Registered Member

There isn't any category in the Device Manager list which would suggest a mouse. There is however one item listed as 'unknown' which indeed has the yellow error mark, but when I tried to reinstall the device, it simply says failed...

I also previously deleted and reinstalled all the USB ports as suggested online, but to no avail
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-03-2016, 09:29 AM   #4
Team Manager
Microsoft Support

OS: Windows10. In the past CP/M, DOS, Windows 95, 2000, 98SE, ME, Vista & Windows 7

My System

Mice & Other Pointing Devices should be in Device Manager. First try a System Restore prior to when you noticed the problem.

The stability of an OS is in direct proportion to the stability of the user.
Old 07-03-2016, 12:20 PM   #5
Team Manager - Hardware
Acting Manager, Security Center

My System

Corday is right do you see mouse and keyboard as separate categories in Device Manager?

All PC's are not the same. Posting your PC specs will help us to assist you quicker and more effectively.
Old 07-03-2016, 01:12 PM   #6
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Boot into Setup (Bios) go to Integrated Peripherals. Look for Legacy USB. If it is disabled, using your Enter and Arrow keys, Enable it. Save and Exit.
In the Device Manager, right click the Unknown Device and Uninstall it. Now Right click Any Device and choose Scan for Hardware Changes. You should get New Hardware Found, If it doesn't find a driver, learn https://www.techsupportforum.com/foru...rs-419050.html