Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

User Tag List

Motherboard and CPU replace - will not boot

This is a discussion on Motherboard and CPU replace - will not boot within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi, So I didn't look on google before I put in a new motherboard and CPU, and now my computer

Closed Thread

Old 01-13-2006, 02:37 AM   #1

Hi,

So I didn't look on google before I put in a new motherboard and CPU, and now my computer won't boot at all. Even when I try to do a repair installation it always fails when it comes to the reboot bit.

Are there any solutions for this, I don't fancy losing all of my files.

Luke.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-13-2006, 03:54 AM   #2
TSF Team, Emeritus

Hi,

If you didn't prepare the drive before the move and also Repair install fails, your options are getting limited. What I would do is install another drive and put your OS on it with a clean install. Then, take the drive with your data on and put it in there as a slave so you could get your data off.
Old 01-13-2006, 05:29 AM   #3
dai
TSF Team, Emeritus

check you can see all the drives in the bios,sounds like a misconfiguration of the jumpers

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-13-2006, 06:15 AM   #4

did you install the exact same motherboard and cpu with the original hard drive?
Old 01-13-2006, 07:48 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by dai
check you can see all the drives in the bios,sounds like a misconfiguration of the jumpers
The drive's interfacing fine, I'm not dumb on this subject, I just wondered really why this was happening, as the Windows install already on the drive was absolutely fine.

The motherboard and CPU are completely different. In there before was an Abit NF7-S with 2500+, which I replaced with an ASRock 939DUAL-SATA2 with Athlon 64 3700+.

I could put my current hard drive in my PC downstairs, but I'm not completely sure it is SATA compatible.
Old 01-13-2006, 08:50 AM   #6
dai
TSF Team, Emeritus

i rebuilt my computer last night,new m/b and cpu and ran into the same problem
i did'nt fix it but ran a workaround to get up and running,as soon as it went to install on the hard drive it could not find it
i could get the cd drives on one cable seen or the h/d on another cable seen,but not both at the same time
i tossed in a pci card and attached the h/d's to it and to my suprise it booted straight into windows with no repair install required,just reactivation which took about 30 seconds over the internet to ms
i am sure it is a misconfiguration in the bios but have not had time to figure it out yet

Old 01-13-2006, 10:36 AM   #7

luke
what sata drivers did you use?
Old 01-13-2006, 04:05 PM   #8

What i ususally do if i install new motherboard and cpu with same hard drive is boot into cd AND DO NOT A REPAIR INSTALL but let it go normal install and says windows is already installed and do you want to reinstall and fix any damged files.

SATBOY
Closed Thread