Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

User Tag List

Monitor cable

This is a discussion on Monitor cable within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I have a emachines PC and Acer monitor. I developed a short in the cable to the monitor. It would

Closed Thread

Old 03-28-2012, 12:34 PM   #1
Registered Member

I have a emachines PC and Acer monitor. I developed a short in the cable to the monitor. It would cause the color to dim. I purchased a new cable and pluged in in. The power light on the monitor flashes and will not come on. I replaced the old cable and the monitor came on. I disconnect the cable and replace the new one. it works. When I turn the PC off it does the same thing again. I again use the old cable, monitor comes on, replace the new cable and monitor works. Each time I turn the PC off I have to use the old cable to get the monitor to work. I have read the questions about this subject however none are quite like this and do not solve the problem.

Thanks Bob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-28-2012, 02:49 PM   #2
TSF Team, Emeritus

OS: Windows 10 64 bit, Windows 8 64, Windows 7 64 Bit SP1, XP SP3, Mac OSX 10.11.5

My System

What is the model # of your Emachine? Do you have a separate video card? or just using the onboard VGA output? if the later, then go to the Emachines site and find your model # and download the Video/Display driver for your computer and install that.
Old 03-28-2012, 04:38 PM   #3
Registered Member

Emachine T3104 with Acer AL1916 monitor. I use what came with the computer. No add on's.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-28-2012, 06:38 PM   #4
TSF Team, Emeritus

OS: Windows 10 64 bit, Windows 8 64, Windows 7 64 Bit SP1, XP SP3, Mac OSX 10.11.5

My System

Download the Chipset and the VGA driver for your computer from the eMachines site. If you are unsure of which one to download, Download Hardware Vendor Detection Utility Which should tell you from this site.
Old 03-29-2012, 12:12 PM   #5
Registered Member

I downloaded the chipset. I click run and nothing happens. Have tried other ways to start it to avail. What does this item do? Is it to detect problem item's.
Old 03-29-2012, 12:21 PM   #6
Registered Member

Sorry, I didn't download the chipset. I downloaded the following:
Download Hardware Vendor Detection Utility. I click run and it doesn't show anything.

Bob
Old 03-29-2012, 06:12 PM   #7
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Just install the Chipset driver.4 in one and the VGA driver.
Old 03-30-2012, 11:10 AM   #8
Registered Member

I downloaded and installed the items. I still have the same issue. I ran the Hardware Vendor Dection, Acer Inc and it returned the following; Lan Realtek. At the bottom is the numbers 20120314
Closed Thread