Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Media disconnect/ ip address won't renew

13K views 13 replies 5 participants last post by  spunk.funk 
#1 ·
Hello!We have a used computer that we want to connect to the Internet. We have it hooked up through Ethernet cable to our modem, as well as a wireless card and wifi booster to connect it to or router. It is literally in the same room as our modem and router, but will not connect! It shows the connections but just won't work. It keeps saying the media is disconnected. The ip address is something not even remotely close to what I am used to. The computer also says that there is a problem with C:program Files\ WildTangent \Apps\ cda \cda engine 0400.dll whenever I restart it. Can someone please help me to figure this out? I am STUMPED! Thank you so much!!! :)

#4 ·
Start with removing the WildTagent game you installed.
Then Unplug the power plug to the Modem and the Router. Plug the power into just the Modem (unless you have a modem/router combo) When all the lights come up, plug in the power to the Router (unless combo of course)
Now Go to Start/Run and type inetcpl.cpl and press enter/Connections/LAN Settings. Make sure all the boxes are unchecked. Now go to Start/Run and type ncpa.cpl and press enter. Right click the Local Area connection/Properties scroll down to Internet Protocol (TCP-IP)/Properties. Make sure Obtain an IP Address and DNS Server Address Automatically are both checked. Now go to Start/Run and type CMD and press enter. IN the Command Prompt type ipconfig /release and press enter. the IP Address changes to 0.0.0.0 Now type ipconfig /flushdns and press enter. Now type ipconfig /renew. Now type ipconfig /all. You should have a new IP address try it again. If you still cannot connect please include the text output of your ipconfig /all in your next post

#7 ·
a 169.254.x.x IP address means you are not getting an IP address from the DHCP server (your router) This shows there is no IP address for your Default Gateway. Your Default Gateway is your Router. Unplug the power plug to the Modem and the Router. Plug the power into just the Modem (unless you have a modem/router combo) When all the lights come up, plug in the power to the Router (unless combo of course)
You can also, plug the computer directly into the Modem to see if that is working correctly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.