Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

User Tag List

Mainman407

This is a discussion on Mainman407 within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Excuse this possible thread repeat, but I did see this question but from what I can tell, it was referencing

Closed Thread

Old 11-14-2016, 02:11 PM   #1
Registered Member

Excuse this possible thread repeat, but I did see this question but from what I can tell, it was referencing a Windows 7 OS platform. My system is Windows XP Pro. Since its purchase back in 2002, I have added a new (or revised) Gigabyte 7DX Motherboard which came with a 1.2GHz CPU. I have installed 2.5 Gigabytes of RAM, a new NVIDIA GeForce 6200 Video Card and a new Sound Blaster Sound card and all this was installed in a new ATX cabinet.

I recently purchased VIPRE Antivirus 16. The mfg. informed me that I must have .NET 4.0 installed before I could properly install their software. Thus, they provided me with a download link for the .NET 4.0 application and a download link to the Vipre Antivirus.

I installed the .NET 4.0 Extended software first. I then installed the Vipre Antivirus software. The install appeared to go just fine. Yet when I clicked to run the Antivirus software I got the message: VIPREUI.exe - .NET Framework Installation Error. Please set Registry key HKLM\Software\Microsoft\.NETFramework\InstallRoot to point to the .NET install location.

I originally installed both downloads to my Download folder. I then copied and pasted these two files to my Desktop. The drive where the two files are located is Drive F:\.

Logging onto the Microsoft's Support site (https://support.microsoft.com/ ) page, I entered the suggested kb number only to discover that this kb number no longer is available. However, I did find a kb that offered info about uninstalling and installing .NET 2.0 Framework.

I've look in the Registry HKLM file and found Microsoft but I'm not sure if this is the correct .NET Framework reference to which I should have the installation point to.

I have looked at other Microsoft applications in the Registry and found several other .NET Framework applications. Yet again, I don't want to screw anything up by doing something I'm not positively sure I need to be doing.

Please help!!!!!!

Regards,

Mainman407
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-14-2016, 04:21 PM   #2
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

This AV software may not be compatible with XP, not much new software is these days. Try Avast or AVG.
If you want to continue this path, go to Start/Run and type appwiz.cpl and press enter In the Add Remove Programs put a check box in the top for Show Updates. Scroll down in the list and uninstall All versions of .Net Framework. You may only have the one. Restart. Now go to Old Version of .Net Framework for Windows XP Download - OldApps.com and download all of the .Net Frameworks in the proper order, must be done in order (ie) 1.0, 2.0, 3.0, 3.5 etc, rebooting after each one until you get 4.0. Then go to Windows Update/Optional Updates and download any other .Net Framework patches. Then try it again