Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

User Tag List

lots of duplicate empty folders?

This is a discussion on lots of duplicate empty folders? within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Maybe this will be an easy question. I converted to xp from ME and am currently running sp1. It seems

Closed Thread

Old 10-25-2004, 08:46 PM   #1

Maybe this will be an easy question. I converted to xp from ME and am currently running sp1. It seems that when I converted to XP it created many duplicates of files and folders. For instance, there are about 4 places I can go to find cookies, ie history. All under the same user name, some are always empty others have data. There are many other folders with the same issue.

At the same time there are some folders I know are in the system somewhere but can't find them in the files they should be. I suspect they are in another duplicate file somewhere.

Is there a simple way to clean this up?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-19-2004, 09:13 PM   #2

hey fwtex,

you got a weird one here. one thing you could try to see if the duplicate folders are needed or not is to rename them to something else. then restart the computer and start just doing normal stuff, and see if you get any error messages. if no error messages popup then it should be safe to delete the folders. I'm thinking if the folders are empty then it should be safe to delete.

I'm guessing your xp is running fat32 and not ntfs (because you upgraded to xp from me). if i were you i would have backed up my data, did a format, and did a fresh xp install using ntfs, but that's just my opinion.
Closed Thread