Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

User Tag List

lost important data after Re-install xp pro

This is a discussion on lost important data after Re-install xp pro within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi I have lost very important data after doing a re-install of win xp pro serv pack 2 (new legit

Closed Thread

Old 02-12-2008, 02:06 PM   #1

Hi
I have lost very important data after doing a re-install of win xp pro serv pack 2 (new legit copy) over an unverified xp pro serv pack 2.
First I tried a repair with the new product key, got to the welcome screen and was asked to log in to my account after doing that it said "you are already logged in, then a sreen came on saying register my copy of windows
YES/NO on yes or no it logged off and went back to the log on screen, basicaly round in circles, then a friend advised to do a complete re-install over my origional O/S leaving files & folders intact, I did but when it came to the drive/directory to install the default was c:/windows highlited and my friend said to alter it to WINNT. Since then every application wont run asking to re-install applications files are missing, drivers are missing and my cd-drive wont open. Saved registration keys are in Incredimail which I cannot find, all my contacts are missing.
Please help I feel as if my right arm has been cut off.
I dont Know how much has been lost yet as I cant get into any applications.
Thanks for reading hope, you can help.

Dell Dimension 3000, 768 mb ram, cd RW, Nvida graphics with 128 mb on board ram (3 years old).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-12-2008, 02:32 PM   #2
Registered Member

OS: Vista Ultimate 64bit SP1, Vista Business 32bit SP1, XP Pro SP3, Debian 4.0, Leopard (just because)

I don't want to say your friend gave you bad advice, but reinstalling Windows that way causes problems as you are now finding out. Basically, I believe you are probably going to have to reinstall all your applications and drivers. You may be able to reinstall many of the drivers by pointing the wizard to c:\windows\system32 but you are probably better off just using your Dell Resource CD if you still have it.

You can open Outlook just fine still?
Old 02-12-2008, 02:46 PM   #3
Registered Member

OS: Vista Ultimate 64bit SP1, Vista Business 32bit SP1, XP Pro SP3, Debian 4.0, Leopard (just because)

Maybe this will help you.

https://pcworld.about.com/magazine/2109p156id111652.htm
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-12-2008, 02:54 PM   #4

Many Thanks for your time, I was afraid of that.
Outlook, I have never used it, will it help, or those deleted file recovery programmes that are advertised.
I still have two systems on my computer the old one has all my progs allbeit dont work a lot of stuff i am afraid to delete.

Russ
Old 02-12-2008, 03:00 PM   #5
Registered Member

I say don't delete it until you are sure everything is working and that all your old files are copied and accounted for. I assumed you had outlook when you mentioned contacts, but I guess that could be for a number of things.
Closed Thread