Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

User Tag List

Lost Ethernet controler with XP install

This is a discussion on Lost Ethernet controler with XP install within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I have a Dell Optiplex GX 620. I just put a new OS of Windows XP Home Edition. I have

Closed Thread

Old 03-23-2016, 01:12 PM   #1
Registered Member

I have a Dell Optiplex GX 620. I just put a new OS of Windows XP Home Edition. I have the pc up and running just don't have anything in device manager under other devices. Now it won't connect to the internet. The computer is using an ethernet cable. This has gotten beyond my capabilities now. Any help is appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-23-2016, 01:41 PM   #2
TSF Team, Emeritus

You can go to the Dell support site, enter your Service Tag Number and download the drivers. Be sure to use IE and do not use the Dell Download Manager!

Just download the driver file, save it to the desktop or to a flash drive and double click to install

On the list of drivers, click on the Download File and on the next page, choose Single File Download . .

See this for the order they should be installed:
How to Download and Install Drivers in the Correct Order | Dell

Old 03-23-2016, 02:54 PM   #3
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Go to Start/Run and type devmgmt.msc and press enter. In the Device Manager, do you have a heading for Network Adapters? If so, expand it. Is there a device with a yellow flag? If so, this device needs drivers.
On an internet computer follow Old Rich's suggestion, go to the Dell site and use your Service Tag# or click this link : Product Support | Dell US scroll to Network/ and download the latest Broadcom Ethernet driver for you model. Save it, and any other drivers you need from the Device Manager to a USB Flash drive and install it on the troubled computer.
Advertisement

Old 03-24-2016, 05:15 PM   #4
Registered Member

Thanks, will give this a try and I'll let you know the outcome.
Closed Thread