Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

User Tag List

Login hangs on "Loading your personal settings..." loads after a few minutes, but...

This is a discussion on Login hangs on "Loading your personal settings..." loads after a few minutes, but... within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I'm running Windows XP Home Edition (SP1 I believe). When i go to log on to either of the screennames

Closed Thread

Old 12-10-2009, 07:54 PM   #1
Registered Member

I'm running Windows XP Home Edition (SP1 I believe). When i go to log on to either of the screennames on the computer, both admin, one password protected, it hangs for several minutes on "Loading your personal settings..."
It loads eventually, but when it does the hard drive makes an audible grunting sound and the desktop loads up normal except for the taskbar. Most programs work properly (at least through the desktop shortcuts that I have), however Windows Media Player refuses to even load at all, and the only way I can get to my documents is through My Computer, however I am unable to open anything in any folders that aren't .exe files. Pictures, videos, pretty much any media is unresponsive and it seems that only .txt files will open.
I have tried to open windows in safe mode, but the taskbar still doesn't open and it is EXTREMELY slow, with the same side effects as stated before.
Now, i most situations, I would simply borrow a reformat disc from a friend, but I'd rather not lose all of my music and videos.
If possible, I need to get this issue sorted out extremely quickly, as I'm lacking on some fairly important files on that computer. Any other details I can give, just ask and I'll see what I can do. Open to suggestions, pretty much anything logical.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-10-2009, 08:04 PM   #2
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Send a message via AIM to quizme1220 Send a message via Yahoo to quizme1220

You should give us your computer specs in case the problem involves one specific hardware. You did mention you're hearing grunting sounds on load up which sounds as if your hard drive maybe on the brink. Have a look at the following link it may help solve your problem https://pcsupport.about.com/od/nonwor.../hdnoisetb.htm.
Old 12-11-2009, 11:04 AM   #3
Registered Member

Thanks for the advice. At the moment I'm running a harddrive check, we'll see what comes up.

From DxDiag, I've gathered this:
Processor: Intel Pentium 4 CPU 2.66 GGHz
Graphics Chip: Intel 82845G Graphics Controller
I'm not quite sure how to check my hard drive, but I do know that a few years ago the person i bought the computer from had to replace the hard drive completely due to a nasty worm that infested the hard drive and was completely non-removable.

Not sure how much help that will be, but if there's anything else just tell me what it is and (if possible) how to get it.

EDIT: Alright, so after re-booting the computer, it was to check the hard drive. However, it brought up the disk checking and flew through it in a matter of seconds. Afterwards, the computer started, and after much waiting I brought up My Computer and attempted to defrag the disk. It brought up the defrag program, but when i clicked analyze it was entirely unresponsive. I clicked Defragment; entirely unresponsive. So, I backed out and figured I might as well attempt another check. after another quick restart, it's actually checking the disk now, and I'll post another update if anything turns out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-15-2009, 04:20 PM   #4
Registered Member

Alright, I'm on my last leg. I leave the country on Friday, and I need the computer to work for a friend who's going to be using it. If I can't get at least a temporary solution, I'm just going to have to wipe and reformat the drive, and I REALLY don't want to do that. At all. Any help at all would be greatly appreciated.
Old 12-15-2009, 05:00 PM   #5
Troubled

If the Hard Drive is making noise, chances are great that the drive is on the way out. Backup all important data and replace the HDD and reinstall Windows.
Old 12-16-2009, 02:02 PM   #6
Registered Member

Well, I plan on replacing the drive, but the problem is backing up the files. I can't move any files (including cut/copy and paste), I can't open anything that uses Windows picture and Fax Viewer, Windows Media Player, Microsoft Word, anything like that. Only select programs work, and it seems the ones that don't are windows affiliated. I have a flash drive, and a list of what needs to be moved before I ditch the drive, but I need to be able to get the files first. What should I do?
Old 12-16-2009, 04:53 PM   #7
Registered Member

Finally figured out how to make a new account. Can't open anything through user account screen, had to figure out a run command (also had to figure out how to use run without the taskbar). Made it, went to log on, lengthy load, and all I had on my desktop was an AOL Icon in the top left and the Recycle Bin in the bottom right. Still no taskbar. Still can't move files. Can't move items on desktop. I have my system restore disks at hand, but I would REALLY like it if I could at least salvage my 7 year old music collection and 4 years worth of work papers. I'm really at an impasse here.
Closed Thread