Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

User Tag List

leftover user from previous install cause of network sharing problem?

This is a discussion on leftover user from previous install cause of network sharing problem? within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Here's the error message I sometimes get when browsing a mapped network drive: Z:\SomeFolder is not accessible. The specified server

Closed Thread

Old 11-02-2005, 06:39 AM   #1

Here's the error message I sometimes get when browsing a mapped network drive:

Z:\SomeFolder is not accessible.

The specified server cannot perform the requested operation.

Also some files just don't show up in explorer when browsing the mapped network drive. I know they are there because I can see and open them in explorer on the PC hosting the network share.

First some information: The network consists of a workgroup of two PC's (Tiger and nForce) both running Windows XP Professional 32 bit SP2. Both PC's have two NICs, 1-Gbit NICs with a direct cable between the two PCs (10.0.0.1 and 10.0.0.2) for fast Windows networking, and 100-Mbit NICs connected both to a port in a NAT router/switch for internet access (192.168.1.101 and 192.168.1.102, router 192.168.1.1).

The problem started after completely reinstalling Windows on the Tiger PC (with format of C). The reinstall was performed with only the C disk present. The other disks (F, G and H) were reconnected after the installation was complete. The problem occurs when mapping to shares on those drives. Shares created on the newly installed C drive don't give the problem.

After a lot of searching I've found what I think may be the cause, but unfortunately I still don't have a solution.

In the "Group or user names:" box on the security tab of the file property dialogue boxes of files that don't show in the mapped drive there is an unkown user named S-1-5-21 followed by four more cipher groups of length 10, 9, 10 and 4 separated by hyphens. This user has a different icon: a head with a red question mark in the lower right corner.
I think this user is a leftover from the previous Windows install.
When I select that user and click "Remove" I get "You cannot remove ... because this object is inheriting permissions from its parent. To remove ..., you must prevent this object from inheriting permissions, and then try removing ... again."

So I think I go to the parent object and remove this rogue user there. So I go to the highest folder in the hierarchy on that drive, click properties, and try to remove that user, but I get the same message. So I right-click the drive, choose properties etc., but there this unknown user doesn't show, so how can I remove him?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-06-2005, 04:22 AM   #2

Bumping this to the top because I still don't have an answer.
Old 11-06-2005, 07:00 AM   #3
tractorboy2

Both PC's have two NICs, 1-Gbit NICs with a direct cable between the two PCs (10.0.0.1 and 10.0.0.2) for fast Windows networking, and 100-Mbit NICs connected both to a port in a NAT router/switch for internet access (192.168.1.101 and 192.168.1.102, router 192.168.1.1).

What ? LOL you have 2 NICs in each PC ? you can not do that. If you have 2 NICs each has to be on a seperate subnet. Is the direct cable a crossover cable or streight through ? Just for general info . If you want to connect 2 PCs together with a cat5 cable you will need a crossover cable.

The router should be what you should use . Turn on dhcp in the router and make sure both of the pc's in their network card properties the radio button is clicked for obtain ip address automatically. for both ip and DNS.

GO to start/ run type in cmd hit enter then type ipconfig / release wait for results then type ipconfig /renew

you probably also in windows explore want to click > tools > folder options > view > scroll all the way down to the bottom and uncheck use simple file sharing

S-1-5-21 the " s " meeans that is a SAM. If there is not anymore numbers after it is a system process.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-06-2005, 08:59 AM   #4

The dual NIC setup is not the problem. It worked before the reinstall of the Tiger PC and it still works except that now there is that annoying problem.
If I map to \\192.168.1.1\someshare or \\10.0.0.1\someshare the results are the same except for the speed of copying (which is hardly surprising because one connection is at Gbit speed and the other at 100 Mbit speed).
I can map shares on the Nforce PC without problem to a driveletter on the Tiger PC, but the other way around gives problems with shares on the F, G and H drives.
The problem seems to be related to shares that have files with this rogue user in the permissions.
It doesn't matter if I use simple file sharing or not like you recommended. The problem remains.
And I know about crossover cables.

Thanks for answering although it didn't help much.
Old 11-08-2005, 10:32 AM   #5
tractorboy2

If you are insiting on using 2 nics per pc, someone else will have to help you

Old 11-08-2005, 11:22 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by marron
In the "Group or user names:" box on the security tab of the file property dialogue boxes of files that don't show in the mapped drive there is an unkown user named S-1-5-21 followed by four more cipher groups of length 10, 9, 10 and 4 separated by hyphens. This user has a different icon: a head with a red question mark in the lower right corner.
I think this user is a leftover from the previous Windows install.
When I select that user and click "Remove" I get "You cannot remove ... because this object is inheriting permissions from its parent. To remove ..., you must prevent this object from inheriting permissions, and then try removing ... again."
This is why you should never install Windows over Windows without formatting.

S-1-5-21 is the SID of the previous account, which cannot be found.

See if you can remove the account by going to Start, Run, and typing control userpasswords2

You might also have to Take Ownership of the past user's files and folders to delete them. You need a user with administrator privileges to do this. Once you have ownership, you will be able to remove the previous user's files.
Closed Thread