Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

User Tag List

Last Chance to Restore Network Icon

This is a discussion on Last Chance to Restore Network Icon within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. XP Pro_SP3 I'm a partner in a business that's had broadband for years. My house and home office are in

Closed Thread

Old 01-02-2017, 03:47 PM   #1
Registered Member

XP Pro_SP3

I'm a partner in a business that's had broadband for years. My house and home office are in an unusual location.
It costs very little to maintain a dial-up connection and I need it as a backup. My external modem is one of the
best.

A couple of weeks ago the DUN icon vanished from the tray (notification area). A few days after the icon vanished
my desktop shortcut to "Network Connections" stopped working while online. That means I can't open the window
and select the "Disconnect" button. Right-clicking "disconnect" from the Context Menu doesn't work either.

"Show icon in notification area when connected" is ticked on the properties sheet.

I did run the System File Checker or SFC /SCANNOW. No corrupt files were found.

Connecting to the web through the external modem is working perfectly. I had to create a temporary shortcut to
the RAS Phonebook. Fortunately, the file Rasphone.pbk is ok.

Here is the path:

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Network\Connections\Pbk\rasphone.pbk

I started using computers before the GUI existed, so I know how to create scripts. I'm about to waste several hours
creating scripts so I can easily connect and disconnect from the web.

I've tried most of the procedures described in the documents listed below. No luck.
Quote:
Troubleshooting missing network and dial-up connections icons
https://support.microsoft.com/default...1&PA=1&SD=HSCH
How to troubleshoot missing network connections icons in Windows Server 2003 and in Windows XP
https://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;825826
How To Restore Icons That Have Been Removed from the Desktop in Windows XP
https://support.microsoft.com/default...279769&sd=tech
How to Enable or Disable the Dial-Up Networking Connection Icon on the System Tray
https://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;286192
Some Network and Dial-Up Connections Icons May Be Missing
https://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;254631
Troubleshooting missing network connection icons
https://www.jsiinc.com/SUBG/TIP3100/rh3147.htm
I keep thinking there has got to be a "diagnose & repair" app for this kind of problem. The obvious place to look
for problems is in the Registry. Some of those Microsoft kb documents list several Registry Keys that should be
checked. They all look fine to me.

There is a small chance an applet I used caused this problem. The brilliant programmer, Mike Lin created a
bunch of applets early in his career. I used his TraySaver which hides icons you don't want to see. I uninstalled
TraySaver because it was hiding the DUN icon. TraySaver is completely gone, including all Registry Keys and
Values. Could this tiny applet be responsible for all this trouble?

Finally, my system is not infected. No malware, viruses, etc.

Before I reluctantly create those scripts I mentioned as a final workaround, please let me know if there is anything
I haven't tried to resolve this problem.

Thanks guys.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread