Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

User Tag List

Laptop Keyboard help.

This is a discussion on Laptop Keyboard help. within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. My laptop keyboard is fried (Dell Inspirion 2650) and says it is holding down keys such as X, s, and

Closed Thread

Old 05-30-2006, 12:11 AM   #1

My laptop keyboard is fried (Dell Inspirion 2650) and says it is holding down keys such as X, s, and Tab...I have a seperate USB keyboard plugged into it but the laptop keyboard still keeps doing that.....Is there any way to disable the laptop keyboard 100%

I really appreciate all responses, this is my only computer for college.

-ryan.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-30-2006, 12:20 AM   #2
TSF Enthusiast

My System

I am not sure but there should be screws for you to unscrew your keyboard. Check.
Old 05-30-2006, 12:25 AM   #3

there are not any screws.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-28-2008, 03:31 PM   #4
Registered Member

To remove your 2650's keyboard first you have to remove the two hinge screws on the back of the laptop. On the curved part of the hinge there is a screw. Remove it on both hinges.

Next on the bezel that surrounds the keyboard look for the top bezel that includes the power and reset buttons along with the words INSPIRION 2650written on the left side.

Look at the right side of the bezel and you'll see a small slot about 3/8" long. It's next to the top right corner of the top right hand most keyboard button.

Take a small slotted screwdriver and pry that up gently. That bezel snaps in place. Simply unsnap the entire top bezel and it comes off completely.

Underneath you'll see four small black phillips screws similar to those you unscrewed on the hinges. Remove those screws and the keyboard lifts up.

Pull the keyboard towards the screen carefully as there is a ribbon cable that holds the keyboard in place. On the laptop motherboard the ribbon cable is held in place with a black connector. Just lift it straight up and the keyboard separates completely from it.

This removal process is pretty common for most laptops and it starts with the removal of the hinge screws as the top bezel is part of the hinge pin covers. Mac's are even easier as there are two tabs you pull back along the top row of keys. Once you pull those tabs back (no tools required) the keyboard pops up. Mac additional memory slots are located under the keyboard just like your Inspirion. Your Inspirion has two DIMM memory slots. One underneath the computer and the other under the keyboard under a metal sheath. Usually that's where Dell loads in the 128Mb of RAM. I replaced it with a 512Mb there and a 256Mb underneath the computer.
Closed Thread