Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

User Tag List

KVM switch question

This is a discussion on KVM switch question within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hey guys, Ive got one monitor that i would like to share between my laptop and my other PC. When

Closed Thread

Old 05-09-2012, 07:15 PM   #1
Registered Member

Hey guys,

Ive got one monitor that i would like to share between my laptop and my other PC. When i use it with my laptop id like to use it as a 2nd screen and with my pc id like to use it as the main screen.

I bought one of these:

CBL-102U 2-Port Mini KVM Switch with Cable

I connect the main adaptor (or the box) part to the shared screen. Then i hook one end of the VGA cable to my laptop and the other end to my other PC output..right?

I turn on my laptop and the screen and try the screen setting to extend monitor but nothing. Also tried using the function key on my laptop with the screen switch button - nothing happens

The only thing i get is a red flashing light on the PS1 light on the box, thats it. Do you need to have the PS mouse & keyboard plugged in order for the VGA to work??

Thanks
x
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-10-2012, 01:11 AM   #2
Registered Member

My System

Quote:
When i use it with my laptop id like to use it as a 2nd screen and with my pc id like to use it as the main screen.
You would go out of the shared monitor into KVM and then out of the KVM into the laptop's VGA. And Into the Desktop's VGA. And Yes, the USB Keyboard and mouse must be plugged into the KVM and the output would go to the laptop USB as well as the Desktop USB. The USB has to be plugged in for everything to work.
Once you switch the KVM to the laptop, Then you have to adjust the Display to Extend Desktop.
Old 05-10-2012, 06:47 AM   #3
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spunk.funk View Post
You would go out of the shared monitor into KVM and then out of the KVM into the laptop's VGA. And Into the Desktop's VGA. And Yes, the USB Keyboard and mouse must be plugged into the KVM and the output would go to the laptop USB as well as the Desktop USB. The USB has to be plugged in for everything to work.
Once you switch the KVM to the laptop, Then you have to adjust the Display to Extend Desktop.
The thing is there is no USB here, its all PS2 sockets & connectors on the KVM box. And how do i switch the KVM to the laptop? There are no switches on it.
Another thing - Are you saying that i need the mouse and keyboard plugged into the PS2 connectors in order for the VGA to work?

If that's the case i can't do it because ive got a USB mouse and keyboard..hmmm
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-10-2012, 12:48 PM   #4
Registered Member

I'm new to the KVM switch, too, and so probably not the best person to answer your question.
From reading your comments you seem to have a different set-up to me. Do you have THREE leads? One from the front of the switch to the monitor. And twin leads from sockets at the back of the switch - one to the laptop and one to your other computer.
In my case, the switch is activated by turning on one computer or the other. That is, the one I want to use. Then I press the small button on
top of the switch. Press once and it selects one computer, press again and it selects the other one.
To change to the other computer, I turn off the one I was using and turn on the other one. I then press the small button on top of the switch again. An orange (well, yellow) light or a green one tell me which computer is linked to the monito, although I can, of course, see which computer is on.
Am I stating the obvious here? Sorry if I am!

I should add that I have USB connections from the keyboard and the mouse to the switch. Not sure if I specified the connections when I bought the switch. You can, of course, get adaptors for your PS2 plugs to go into the USB sockets. Very cheap.
Old 05-10-2012, 12:57 PM   #5
Registered Member

My System

The picture on the web page you included has USB cables that must be plugged into each of the computers. And you would plug in your PS/2 mouse and keyboard into the KVM. It also says that there are Hotkeys to switch between computers. Check your documentation to see which hot keys switch between computers. This looks pretty cheap, I wouldn't expect much out of this product.
Old 05-10-2012, 01:08 PM   #6
Registered Member

Perhaps I should have looked at the link to the picture of the switch before I started replying.
I have a Dynamode USB auto KVM switch which seems to have cables everywhere. The three I mentioned, plus the keyboard and mouse input ports, plus sound in and out sockets (green and pink) plus a USB port to a USB hub. And all for 28 (sorry, don't know what that is in other currencies).
Old 05-10-2012, 01:18 PM   #7
Registered Member

My System

Dabber, I can't tell if you are you trying to provide a solution or are if you asking a question? If you want to ask a question about a KVM switch then post your own thread. If you have information that might provide a solution, please check the products web page first before posting an answer and make your statement a little clearer,
Old 05-10-2012, 07:24 PM   #8
Registered Member

Quote:
The picture on the web page you included has USB cables that must be plugged into each of the computers. And you would plug in your PS/2 mouse and keyboard into the KVM. It also says that there are Hotkeys to switch between computers. Check your documentation to see which hot keys switch between computers. This looks pretty cheap, I wouldn't expect much out of this product.
My apologies, i didn't take a look at the picture on the webpage too closely. Its exactly the same model except that mine has PS2 sockets instead of USB (might be the older model). I didn't get any doc with it unfortunately. There are no switches on the KVM box for me to select which line i want active plus im not sure if i need to have the PS2 mouse/keyboard plugged in in order for the VGA to work...A bit crazy
Old 05-11-2012, 01:56 AM   #9
Registered Member

My System

Quote:
Yes, the PS/2 Keyboard and mouse must be plugged into the KVM and the output would go to the laptop USB as well as the Desktop USB.
There should be a little sheet in the box this came in with instructions and what hotkeys make it work and how to set it up. If not, send it back and spend a little more money on something that actually works.
Old 05-11-2012, 02:32 AM   #10
Registered Member

Quote:
Dabber, I can't tell if you are you trying to provide a solution or are if you asking a question? If you want to ask a question about a KVM switch then post your own thread. If you have information that might provide a solution, please check the products web page first before posting an answer and make your statement a little clearer,
Well, pardon me for breathing! I was trying to be helpful by writing about my experience with a KVM switch. As I said in the first line of my post: "I'm new to the KVMswitch, too, and so probably not the best person to answer your question."
I certainly won't bother in future. Not if yours is the sort of comment I can expect. And you're a moderator? Aren't you supposed to be nice to people?
You know what - I think I'll call it a day with Tech Support Forum.
Old 05-11-2012, 02:39 AM   #11
Registered Member

My System

@Dabber: I wasn't trying to be rude, it was a question. Your statement was a little confusing. I don't know if you are asking a question or trying to offer a solution? If you were offering a solution, please familiarize yourself with the product before commenting on it, if you don't know, then it's best not to post. And I was pointing out, if you are posting a question it's better to start a new thread so we don't get confused.
Old 05-11-2012, 03:19 AM   #12
Registered Member

I have looked again at all my posts in this thread and to me they are all giving advice as far as I see it. True - as I admitted - I should have looked at the link to see the type of KVM switch we were talking about.
I know that if you want to ask a question you start a nerw thread, That's obvious.
For someone who wasn't trying to be rude you certainly failed.

The index page of this website has the following:
"Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership."
I guess you didn't see that.

But forget it. Too late - I'm off.
Old 05-14-2012, 01:43 AM   #13
Registered Member

Quote:
There should be a little sheet in the box this came in with instructions and what hotkeys make it work and how to set it up. If not, send it back and spend a little more money on something that actually works.
Thanks spunk.funk, i don't remember a sheet in a the box as i bought this second hand, so i might just go ahead and get something a bit better. If there is something you can recommend please do so by posting here...Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabber View Post
I have looked again at all my posts in this thread and to me they are all giving advice as far as I see it. True - as I admitted - I should have looked at the link to see the type of KVM switch we were talking about.
I know that if you want to ask a question you start a nerw thread, That's obvious.
For someone who wasn't trying to be rude you certainly failed.

The index page of this website has the following:
"Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership."
I guess you didn't see that.

But forget it. Too late - I'm off.
Hey Dabber,

I really do appreciate your sincere efforts to help out here. By all means you did nothing wrong, no ones perfect! To be honest i myself didn't even look closely at the picture in that link that i posted here

So yeah thanks for helping out - turns out i might just have to spend a bit more and get something better... :)

Peace out brother!!
Old 05-14-2012, 09:06 AM   #14
Registered Member

I would recommend checking with the supplier because this lookslike a compatibilty issue. There are a lot many resellers that provide quite genuine Cat5 KVMSwitch solutions. You can definitely try some other reseller if your query is not resolved.
Closed Thread