Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

User Tag List

Keyboard Wont Work When Windows Starts Up!?

This is a discussion on Keyboard Wont Work When Windows Starts Up!? within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Basically my keyboard works when it starts. I can press F8 or Esc to go into the windows startup menu.

Closed Thread

Old 06-04-2007, 01:46 PM   #1

Basically my keyboard works when it starts. I can press F8 or Esc to go into the windows startup menu. However when (even in safe mode) it starts up it asks for Ctrl+Alt+Del. Here my keyboard is non responsive. I've had this issue before and used to solve it with windows restore settings to a previous date through safe mode, however this time i can't get into safe mode because clever windows felt like making it so secure.
Also the option of going back to previously good settings after pressing F8 desnt help. I've tried all sorts of boot disks made on my other computer but nothing seems to get it to that BIOS screen. As i said the buttons work before windows starts up just i cant do anything useful with them. Oh and i dont have an XP Pro CD either... would that help? how do i restore mysetings to a previous date?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-04-2007, 03:15 PM   #2
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Hi andrew99 and welcome to TSF !

Is this a laptop or a desktop ?

If it's a desktop, is that keyboard PS/2, usb or wireless ? What's its brand and model ? Try with another PS/2 keyboard and report if you have the same problems.

If it's a laptop, what model is it ?
Old 06-04-2007, 03:53 PM   #3
Troubled

Just before you answer all of those very important questions, check Device Manager for yellow & red-flagged devices. Check "show hidden devices" first, then uninstall any flagged devices and reboot.

If it doesn't work after the reboot, then do what justpassing requested.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-04-2007, 04:04 PM   #4
Happy to support TSF!

My System

I don't think he can access Windows though Girdie as he has set the welcome screen to ctrl-alt-del login style and without a keyboard, that will be tricky ;)
Old 06-04-2007, 04:13 PM   #5

its a toshiba sattelite laptop about 5,6 years old served me well. I even bought an external usb plug n play keyboard which also works before windows loads, but doesn't at the ctrl+alt+del screen. Last time this happened it was due to system mechanic or panda antivirus. I deleted some medium level adware along with loads of other non serious viruses which clearly attached themselves to a driver or something.
Back then tho i didn't have this Ctrl+alt+del screen and could solve it by restoring to a previous date thorugh safe mode.

Can i at least get my data back?
Old 06-04-2007, 04:16 PM   #6
Happy to support TSF!

My System

Are you able to slave the drive in another machine?
Old 06-04-2007, 04:24 PM   #7
Troubled

Okay, I feel very stupid right now . . .
Old 06-04-2007, 04:26 PM   #8
Happy to support TSF!

My System

Don't worry Girdie...I struggled with a PC/blank screen problem earlier for about 10 minutes but thinking to connect the monitor ;)
Old 06-04-2007, 04:57 PM   #9
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Well if the problem is software and not simply related to your keyboard, you could boot your computer using something like a BartPE CD. Only problem is BartPE requires the files from the XP disk to create it so that's probably not an option for you...

You could still test your keyboard using any linux live CD. See if the keyboard works in that environment. If it doesn't then it's probably some hardware problem. You'll have to repair or replace your laptop. In the latter case, the retailer will be able to recover your data and copy it to the new laptop.

If you get your keyboard to work, I'm sure other techs here can propose you with some live CD solution that support NTFS file system and doesn't need XP files to build it. Maybe a Kubuntu live CD ?

BartPE would be great since you can run some antivirus stuff from it. But maybe you can also run an online scan from a linux live-cd that supports NTFS (I'm not very linux savvy, so correct me here if I'm wrong)
Old 06-05-2007, 05:31 PM   #10

now tht i think about it.. its probably a fake version of windows my brother intalled for me ages ago. still has a windows xp home key on the back tho. Maybe thats why i cant get into bios, i still havent tried just inserting a noral XP Pro CD into it.. would that do something or would i need to change the boot order first
Old 06-05-2007, 05:49 PM   #11
Troubled

oops.
Closed Thread