Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

User Tag List

Keyboard suddenly stops working.

This is a discussion on Keyboard suddenly stops working. within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. One day before school, the keyboard was working, after I come back from school, boot up XP, and the keyboard

Closed Thread

Old 09-30-2007, 06:40 PM   #1

Evil

One day before school, the keyboard was working, after I come back from school, boot up XP, and the keyboard doesn't work anymore. I noticed that the keyboard works on the BIOS, but once booting XP, stops working. I am running on Windows XP that I just installed on my slave drive to get this post though. My computer specs:
Intel Celeron 1.7GHz
512+256MB of RAM
60GB Master
10GB Slave
eMachines Keyboard (PS/2)
Compaq Optical USB Mouse
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-30-2007, 08:46 PM   #2
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Hi DeltaStrikeZeta and welcome to TSF !

So the same keyboard works with another installation of XP on the same computer ?

Does another keyboard work better ? Does a usb keyboard work ?

Were there some updates pending to be installed when you turned the computer off ? Had you installed anything new during the last session ?

Try booting on the installation that doesn't work and repeatedly pressing the F8 key. Can you get to the advanced options menu ? If so try "last known good configuration" and see if it helps.

Does your XP pro install CD have SP2 integrated ?
Old 09-30-2007, 10:09 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by justpassingby View Post
Hi DeltaStrikeZeta and welcome to TSF !

So the same keyboard works with another installation of XP on the same computer ?

Does another keyboard work better ? Does a usb keyboard work ?

Were there some updates pending to be installed when you turned the computer off ? Had you installed anything new during the last session ?

Try booting on the installation that doesn't work and repeatedly pressing the F8 key. Can you get to the advanced options menu ? If so try "last known good configuration" and see if it helps.

Does your XP pro install CD have SP2 integrated ?
Yes, the same keyboard works with the other installation of XP.

I have two keyboards, there equally the same, and none of them are USB keyboards (i only have 2 USB ports)

There were no updates pending or have failed. I have not installed anything new, though i recall Google Desktop Sidebar crashing on me and wont restart and kept telling me the message "Google Sidebar has quit unexpedidly, please re-open though the start menu" or something of that sort.

I already tried the last good confifguration. My XP Pro has SP2 integrated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-01-2007, 01:12 AM   #4
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

From your other installation on your slave drive run
chkdsk x: /F /R
where x is the volume letter of your 60GB master drive. Answer no if it asks to lock/unmount the volume and yes to schedule the scan at next restart. Reboot the computer and report here if it finds any errors on the disk.

From what you say I take it that you are able to enter Windows on the 60GB drive but can't use the keyboard there, is that so ? In the installation where the keyboard doesn't work right-click my computer => properties => hardware => device manager. Is there any error there next to the keyboard device ? If so double-click the device and tell us what you see under device status. Right-click the keyboard device => uninstall. Restart the computer and it should get redetected and reinstalled.

If that didn't help then still booting on the 60GB drive go to start => all programs => accessories => accessibility => visual keyboard. Use that keyboard to input commands when needed. Go to start => run and type sfc /scannow (the space after sfc is important). This will run the system file checker utility which will replace possibly corrupt system files with a good copy. It will ask for the XP CD if it can't find a backup of the file on your drive. Make sure you're using a CD with service pack 2 integrated and make sure you've scanned the drive for errors with chkdsk beforehands.

If that didn't work then you can try a repair installation (again, make sure you scanned the drive for errors with chkdsk first). Insert the XP pro SP2 install CD, enter the BIOS at startup and set the boot order priority to CD-rom first. Press any key to start from the CD when prompted to do so. Press enter to setup xp now, accept the license agreement, choose the drive with the installation you want to repair and press 'R' to repair your current installation. If the option you get is not "repair" then exit the installation and report here.

You won't lose any personal data with a repair install but you'll need to reinstall the latest critical updates from windows updates. It's also possible that some programs don't work anymore in which case you'll have to reinstall them.
Old 10-01-2007, 02:38 PM   #5

well I went to run, entered in cmd then entered in chkdsk c: /f /r and its checking it as i type, but the other things are not able to help me because my other hdd is password protected so I can't log in to get to where you want me to go. if I go to repair in the windows xp pro sp2 then it'll screw up alcohol 52% and avg anti-virus and it'll end up in re-installing windows xp if i want alcohol and avg to work... Plus I tried booting in safe mode and the keyboard still doesn't work with the 60GB master.
Old 10-02-2007, 03:35 AM   #6
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

There's no problem reinstalling alcohol and AVG. I'd go for the repair install.
Closed Thread