Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

User Tag List

Keyboard stops working when booting of a CD

This is a discussion on Keyboard stops working when booting of a CD within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi. I have encountered a weird problem that I cant seem to find a solution too. My install of windows

Closed Thread

Old 02-28-2009, 01:17 AM   #1

Hi.
I have encountered a weird problem that I cant seem to find a solution too.

My install of windows is messed up, it still works just to much has been installed and installed. So I backed everything up I needed and dropped in an XP Cd.

When I start up I get the normal "Press any key to boot from CDrom..." except the keyboard stops working at this point. It only stops working while it says this message. It then times out and the system boots up as normal.

Tried 3 different keyboards; 2 USB and 1 PS2. They all work fine in windows, they all work and get me in to the BIOS. The Caps lock LED on all 3 also stops working when I have the "press any key to boot from CDrom" on screen.

If I boot off a CD that does not have the "Press any key to boot from CDrom" it will boot off that CD.

As a side issue I an SATA DVD drive (A lite-on DVDRW LH-20A1S (9L08)) I can not boot off this DVD drive, BIOS set to boot off it. I have dropped in some older DVD drives so I can boot off the disk. Same issue with all three of them.

The motherboard is a Foxconn C51XEM2AA

Does anyone know a solution or work around?

Thank you in advance for any help that can be offered.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-28-2009, 06:30 AM   #2
TSF Enthusiast

not sure what is causing your different keybaords from working and yoru DVD drives not working....sounds like a bad Motherboard, the eide controllers for the DVD or if SATA then bad SATA controllers..
if your pc is still functional with the old CP load...,,,just trya nd clean it out of as much as you can to see if you can improve perforamcne

sounds liek even a brand new Harddrive with aan attempt to install windows would not work if you cannot get an optical drive to work have you tried a a CD drive?
Old 02-28-2009, 10:52 PM   #3
TSF Enthusiast

OS: XP Pro SP3, MCE 2005 sp3, Vista Ultimate SP2, Windows 7 Ultimate

My System

A dvd drive will not work with a cd. Also the cd drive has to be set to master when booting up from a xp disc.
Closed Thread