Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

User Tag List

Keyboard stops working during boot and can't log in

This is a discussion on Keyboard stops working during boot and can't log in within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. When I start up my computer, my USB keyboard works fine. However, when it gets to the WinXP load screen,

Closed Thread

Old 04-15-2008, 10:35 AM   #1

When I start up my computer, my USB keyboard works fine. However, when it gets to the WinXP load screen, the LED on my keyboard goes off and I find that when I get to the log-in screen, my keyboard doesn't work. My mouse has no problems. This has happened before, but I think it was just by pure luck it started working again then (it started working when I unplugged my ethernet last time, but I think that was just a fluke as it doesn't work when I try it now). There is NOTHING wrong with my keyboard and moving it to different ports doesn't help. It works in safe mode and when I go into setup/boot menu at start-up. I'm trying to figure out what the real cause of this problem is, so any help would be greatly appreciated! I can't think of any similarities between what I was doing on my computer the last time this happened and this time, so I'm baffled. It's like it just decides to randomly stop working.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-15-2008, 11:48 AM   #2
TSF Enthusiast

Is your ethernet connection usb? How about the mouse? May be
a hitch somewhere in your usb, hitch/conflict. Get a ps2 converter
for your keyboard and see if it works, do the same for your mouse.
This will free up the usb resource. If your ethernet is usb I would
change that to a standard nic card or use the onboard cat5 ethernet
connection. Imho...
Closed Thread