Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

User Tag List

Keyboard Repeat Rate & Regional and Language Options

This is a discussion on Keyboard Repeat Rate & Regional and Language Options within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Short description: Keyboard Repeat Rate & Location in "Regional and Language Options" keep getting reset everytime I start my computer

Closed Thread

Old 06-15-2009, 03:47 PM   #1

Suprised

Short description:
Keyboard Repeat Rate & Location in "Regional and Language Options" keep getting reset everytime I start my computer up.

Long description:
I have been using Kaspersky Antivirus up until now and I update it quite often, but then I moved and didn't have the chance to update its virus list for around 2 weeks and accidentally got infected with the "gxvxc" virus. I tried to remove it manually like this:
S0. (System restore was automatically disabled by the virus)
S1. Booted into safe mode
S2. Used Unhackme (an anti-rootkit removal tool) to terminate the virus.
S3. Scanned (still in safe mode) for every possible malware using MalwareBytes Anti-Malware, and removed them.
S4. Delete traces of the virus: the fake Recycler, the virus's copies in system32, autorun.inf, in the Registry, startup.
S5. Uninstalled and reinstalled Kaspersky, because the virus somehow succeeded in preventing Kaspersky from running, Kaspersky was still able to start, but could not do a thing, let alone killing the virus. Updated virus list. Did a full scan.
S6. Booted into normal mode, ran Unhackme, Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and Kaspersky again, nothing found. Ran Windows Update (btw, I'm using XP SP2). Everything seemed to be OK.

But THEN:
P1. Keyboard repeat rate gets reset everytime my computer starts up. It's a nuisance having to scroll it back again to max speed.
P2. I can't change the Location and Standard in Regional and Language Options, it resets immediately after closing, for example: I change Location from US to Germany, hit "apply" then "OK", open "Regional and Language Options", it's changed back to US.
P3. Driver for integrated (Conexant) microphone seems to be messed up, sound input volume level is really low and I have to put my mouth (or any other sound emitting device) right next to the mic (I'm using a Lenovo T400) so that the mic can recognize the sound.
P4. Driver for mouse also seems to have been reverted back, but I fixed this already.
P5. I'm not sure about this but I think Windows takes longer to shut down than before, however, it still starts up quite fast, but sometimes hangs (quite rare).
P6. Settings for other applications, eg. Yahoo Messenger also gone, or folder options like "Show hidden files" became unchecked (Only once after being hit by the virus, I set them back)

I think this is a registry problem rather than an active virus, it is quite unlikely that my computer is still infected now that MBAM and Kaspersky are running normally again, however, it is still a possibility.

Many thanks in advance for reading and helping :)

Hiro
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-15-2009, 04:37 PM   #2
Registered Member

My System

Download and run Spybot Search & Destroy (www.safer-networking.org), and CCleaner from my sig. Run Spybot S&D and immunize after. Run the registry scanner with CCleaner using at least 3 passes (you can change it in the Options tab)
You could also try HijackThis but you may not understand how to use it.
Old 06-15-2009, 05:33 PM   #3
Troubled

Boot into Safe Mode with Networking. download and install CCleaner. Delete Temp files, run registry cleaner. Download and install www.malwarebytes.org run Full scan. Delete nasties.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-16-2009, 01:10 AM   #4
Registered Member

My System

I already told him to get CCleaner, spike.
Sorry, I thought CCleaner was in my sig, silly me. Here is the link - www.ccleaner.com/download
Old 06-16-2009, 09:04 AM   #5

Thank you for your replies, friends. I have (once again) done it like you suggested:

(all in safemode, first once in plain safe mode and the other one in safe mode with networking so that they could update themselves)
1. Ran Spybot 3 times.
2. CCleaner twice.
3. Malwarebytes twice.

Almost clean, only non-critical results. And it's not a bit better.

I'm looking forward to further help (knowledge in Windows register appreciated) :)

P.S. and please read my (first) post before suggesting any more scans with the tools I already used :)
Old 06-21-2009, 04:35 AM   #6

I've tried to scan my computer for infection so many times but it couldn't find a thing and the settings keep getting set back to default every time :(
Old 06-21-2009, 12:35 PM   #7
Registered Member

My System

Try reinstalling or rolling back your keyboard drivers.
Old 06-21-2009, 12:38 PM   #8

I'm using a ThinkPad T400 with default driver for the keyboard, do you know where I can get a driver update for it? (Would be best if Lenovo provided one, but they don't :( )
Old 06-22-2009, 01:45 AM   #9
Registered Member

My System

Go into Control Panel and select Keyboards, go to the Hardware tab. Select the keyboard and press 'properties' then update the drivers from there.
Old 06-22-2009, 09:44 AM   #10

It says: "The wizard could not find a better match for your hardware than the software you currently have installed."

Current driver's provider: Microsoft, Driver date: 7/1/2001, Version: 5.1.2600.2180. Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural PS/2 Keyboard.

2001???? I'm using a Lenovo ThinkPad T400.
Old 06-22-2009, 02:50 PM   #11
Registered Member

My System

Then try rolling back the driver. Or uninstall and reinstall.
Old 06-22-2009, 02:52 PM   #12

I did try to roll back the driver but it's still the same :(
Old 06-22-2009, 04:43 PM   #13
Registered Member

My System

Did you try reinstalling it?

Have you tried installing Service Pack 3?
Old 06-22-2009, 05:18 PM   #14
Troubled

Here are drivers for you model. https://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/si...lidate=trueTry the System Update 3.14 at the bottom. Be sure to check the Bios update and anything chipset or keyboard related. You don't need most of the Thinkpad software.
Old 06-23-2009, 05:40 PM   #15

I downloaded the System Update 3.14 and tried to install it, but it stopped at around 80% and gave me an error:
"The wizard was interrupted before System Update could be completely installed.
Your system has not been modified. To complete installation at another time, please run setup again."

And I DO HAVE .NET FRAMEWORK 1.1, 1.1 hotfix, 2.0 AND 3.0, all properly installed, please don't ask me to try re-installing .NET FRAMEWORK 2.0, because I tried uninstalling, restarting and re-installing .net framework 2.0 and 3.0 3 times already.

Your suggestion is the best so far, spike2me, could you please help me further on this problem? :)
Old 06-23-2009, 05:43 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark_Wolf View Post
Did you try reinstalling it?
Yes I did :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark_Wolf View Post
Have you tried installing Service Pack 3?
I don't want to update to SP3 that much, but before I encounter this problem, it all was well with SP2, so it couldn't be a problem with SP2 :(

More suggestions very appreciated.

UPDATE: I can change the Location now, it doesn't change back to US after rebooting any more, even though I did nothing to solve XD Magic?
Old 06-23-2009, 06:33 PM   #17
Troubled

After you installed System Update, make sure you restarted before running the program. If it still won't work, then uninstall it, restart, reinstall it, restart and try running it again. Or you can search just for the Bios Update on Lenovo's support site. But the system update will get you all the chipset drivers as well.
Old 06-23-2009, 06:49 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by spike2me View Post
After you installed System Update, make sure.......
I can't install it, it gets stuck at around 80% and tells me that something's not right with System Update. I sure wish I could install it :(
Old 06-23-2009, 08:51 PM   #19
Registered Member

My System

Customers in the U.S. and Canada can receive technical support from
Microsoft Product Support Services at 1-866-PCSAFETY. There is no charge for
support calls that are associated with security updates.
Old 06-23-2009, 10:41 PM   #20

Thank you Dark_Wolf, but I'm afraid that's out of the question because I'm living in Germany and if I wanted to call customer service I wouldn't post the question here, would I? :)

And this is not included in the warranty service, because, getting infected with a virus (well, probably) is not a hardware failure, and I think in Germany they charge some euros for a minute :(
Closed Thread

« spam | Solution.vbs »