Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

User Tag List

Keyboard / mouse suddenly died

This is a discussion on Keyboard / mouse suddenly died within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Earlier this evening Windows started throwing the "Unrecognized USB device" error in the system tray. Clicked into it and disabled

Closed Thread

Old 11-19-2008, 10:51 PM   #1

Earlier this evening Windows started throwing the "Unrecognized USB device" error in the system tray. Clicked into it and disabled the device, found nothing deactivated, and went about my business.

The system kept throwing the error over the course of the next half hour or so, even after a reboot, and then my USB keyboard and mouse both cut out simultaneously.

So, things I know for certain:

(1) My USB ports are not blown entirely. Speakers still work. External is getting power when I connect it, but not autoplaying or showing in My Computer (external works fine on Ubuntu box).

(2) It is not an issue with just this particular mouse and keyboard. I've tried three of each peripheral (all USB); nothing works. On a reboot, the keyboards' Lock keys give a brief flash, but don't allow any input whatsoever.

Any ideas? I haven't yet tested with a PS/2 mouse or keyboard, as I can't find one, but if I can pick some up I'll give those a run as well.
update: PS/2 hardware does work.

This is on XP SP2.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-20-2008, 05:01 AM   #2
TSF Enthusiast

Either your USB circuitry is faulty or, more likely, the USB software has corrupted. Go into device manager and uninstall everything listed under the USB section. Shutdown and reboot to allow Windows to find the hardware and reinstall the software (will require no intervention from you). Once done, test.

"Hardware: the parts of a computer that can be kicked!"

Please don't send me PM's for support. Post in the forums for everyone to benefit.
Old 11-20-2008, 07:56 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by kev1952 View Post
Either your USB circuitry is faulty or, more likely, the USB software has corrupted. Go into device manager and uninstall everything listed under the USB section. Shutdown and reboot to allow Windows to find the hardware and reinstall the software (will require no intervention from you). Once done, test.
Tested; nothing.

Speakers work fine in all six USB slots, but nothing else does.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-20-2008, 02:15 PM   #4
TSF Team Emeritus
Microsoft Support

OS: XP Home SP3 x3 /XP Pro SP3/Vista Ultimate SP2/Win7 Pro 64-BIT

Whats happens when you click on Add Hardware Wizard in Control Panel?
Old 11-20-2008, 02:25 PM   #5

hi / welcome

could you try this sort software , wich also is found on UBCD for windows .
https://www.zhangduo.com/udi.html
the tool identifies what device percisely is missing so that you can install / reinstall the correct driver

let me know how it works out
Old 11-20-2008, 06:29 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geekgirl View Post
Whats happens when you click on Add Hardware Wizard in Control Panel?
Open wizard, hit Next, it does its initial search and finds nothing. "Yes, I have already connected the hardware." It picks up none of the hardware in its list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmtar View Post
hi / welcome

could you try this sort software , wich also is found on UBCD for windows .
https://www.zhangduo.com/udi.html
the tool identifies what device percisely is missing so that you can install / reinstall the correct driver

let me know how it works out
Not entirely sure what to be looking for specifically, here.

I've already updated my BIOS and USB drivers, as well as uninstalled / reinstalled all the drivers for the devices I'm having problems with. There is one entry of "Unknown Device" showing up, but the program's "Find Driver" function is worthless for that.
Old 11-20-2008, 11:36 PM   #7

its the name of the device that was the purpose of the program , now that "device name " search that on https://www.google.com/search?q= "driver name download " and youll find your driver .

regards
Old 11-21-2008, 05:48 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmtar View Post
its the name of the device that was the purpose of the program , now that "device name " search that on https://www.google.com/search?q= "driver name download " and youll find your driver .

regards
Again. You can't do a google search for "Unknown Device" and expect to get a driver.
Old 11-21-2008, 05:55 AM   #9
TSF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volotani View Post
Again. You can't do a google search for "Unknown Device" and expect to get a driver.
Be nice if you could! (It's probably the AnyKey )

Go through the Devices listed and check them off against the physical devices attached - whatever is left is going to be the "Unknown Device".

"Hardware: the parts of a computer that can be kicked!"

Please don't send me PM's for support. Post in the forums for everyone to benefit.
Old 11-21-2008, 07:27 AM   #10
TSF Team Emeritus
Microsoft Support

OS: XP Home SP3 x3 /XP Pro SP3/Vista Ultimate SP2/Win7 Pro 64-BIT

Quote:
Well you can type in Unknown Devices into Google and find a program to help you find a driver

https://www.halfdone.com/Development/UnknownDevices/

Unknown Devices helps you find what those unknown devices in Device Manager really are.

By checking Device Manager for unknown devices and extracting information from it, this program attempts to figure out what the device is. You might not have to open your case or look up random numbers off of PCI cards to figure out what they are.
Current Version is 1.2
Old 11-21-2008, 12:27 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by kev1952 View Post
Be nice if you could! (It's probably the AnyKey )

Go through the Devices listed and check them off against the physical devices attached - whatever is left is going to be the "Unknown Device".
Saw nothing out of order. Everything I have attached is accounted for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geekgirl View Post
Well you can type in Unknown Devices into Google and find a program to help you find a driver

https://www.halfdone.com/Development/UnknownDevices/

Unknown Devices helps you find what those unknown devices in Device Manager really are.

By checking Device Manager for unknown devices and extracting information from it, this program attempts to figure out what the device is. You might not have to open your case or look up random numbers off of PCI cards to figure out what they are.
Current Version is 1.2
Only device that came up was PCI Standard ISA bridge. Updated video drivers and mobo driver (again), but it's still showing up as problematic. :\
Old 12-01-2008, 09:09 PM   #12

Post-Thanksgiving bump, with a new symptom!

Tried to boot up after I got back from vacation yesterday, and my monitor no longer responds. Note that my machine does boot; I hear the startup sounds. Tested the monitor on my laptop and it works fine.

I've got the suspects narrowed to mobo and PSU, but I'm not entirely sure how to go about checking which.

Help please?
Closed Thread