Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

User Tag List

keyboard issue

This is a discussion on keyboard issue within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. It seems set to German or something cause when I type a quotation mark then o or u, it puts

Closed Thread

Old 08-01-2014, 02:10 PM   #1
Registered Member

It seems set to German or something cause when I type a quotation mark then o or u, it puts the umlaut. I checked keyboard and regional/lang settings and all is US english. What do?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-01-2014, 02:24 PM   #2
MPR
TSF Enthusiast

There is a chance that someone individually mapped the keys.

Look in the Registry for any Scancode Map keys. See below for reference:

How To Disable Caps Lock Key in Windows XP and Vista « My Digital Life

If not, then you might wish to try to reinstall the US or other English keyboard.

How to change your keyboard layout

Microsoft also has a Fixit for detecting general keyboard problems:

Troubleshoot keyboard problems
Old 08-01-2014, 03:19 PM   #3
Team Manager
Microsoft Support

OS: Windows10. In the past CP/M, DOS, Windows 95, 2000, 98SE, ME, Vista & Windows 7

My System

If it's happening in Word, you have to set the language there also.

The stability of an OS is in direct proportion to the stability of the user.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-01-2014, 04:14 PM   #4
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Go to the Region and Languages. In addition to what you have done, Go to the Language tab, and Details button. Make sure the default input language is English, and then press on Key Settings button and make sure English is the default language. Press the Language bar button for settings for Word. Go to the Advanced button, make sure English is the default non-Unicode language and put a check in Apply settings to current user and default profile.
Closed Thread

Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Keyboard "Ghosting" Issue
So I had a Sager custom laptop since 8/12 and it has been working alright. My university offers a free upgrade to Windows 7 from whatever was before that. I downloaded and installed the new version. However, I am not sure if it is related with the problem or not, but my keyboard has been ghosting...
LODD2 Laptop Support 0 06-14-2013 04:46 PM
Keyboard Backlight issue
I recently installed windows 8 on my laptop and the back-lit keyboard no longer works. This is not a major issue, but it is an inconvenience. There used to be an option in the VAIO control panel, but it is no longer there. Prior to the system restore everything worked fine. I can not find any...
bhuffy Other Hardware Support 2 03-26-2013 05:28 PM
[SOLVED] keyboard issue
Hello all, first time poster and computer illiterate here. I was typing away on a word doc earlier today when I noticed it had stopped typing mid - sentence. Tried typing in various other windows and... nothing. Tried restarting and that didn't work, had trouble logging back into my user account...
Snedger Laptop Support 3 12-28-2011 08:28 PM
Fixing Keyboard Issue With Repair Install
I have a problem with my keyboard where it doesn't work once Windows has loaded. I have looked around, and it seems the only way to fix it is with a repair install of XP, but I don't have the original CD. I blieve that I could get another XP cd and use that with my XP key, but I have a couple of...
Exhibit Windows XP Support 3 02-22-2011 12:27 PM