Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

User Tag List

It's Jammed!

This is a discussion on It's Jammed! within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I downloaded a few ISOs from archive.org to install on my XP VMWare virtual machine because I really wanted to

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Corday
  • 1 Post By Rich-M
Closed Thread

Old 05-05-2019, 03:36 AM   #1
Registered Member

I downloaded a few ISOs from archive.org to install on my XP VMWare virtual machine because I really wanted to listen to the MIDIs on VGMusic that were made for XG actually in XG. You have heard about the elephant in the room, didn't you?

(Sorry if the images are messed up, but they all say XG only)

The two isos I used were https://archive.org/details/CDV73B1 and https://archive.org/details/3DS724Acd.

While in the process of installing the software on the isos, I noticed that the programs I installed wouldn't load. I tried to run a few applications that had nothing to do with what was on the isos, but they wouldn't load either. I decided maybe I had overworked it and maybe I should shutdown and start it up again tomorrow to see if it'd sorted itself out.

When I got home the next day, I started the VM and when I got to the login screen, I clicked on my username, my username moved to the center and then the machine crashed. I tried again and it still crashed.

I could login to Safe Mode so I could try to fix the problem there.

Help and Support Center had no solutions from what I remember and System Restore never works.

I got from one website that you could go to msconfig and uncheck the boxes in the General tab. While this got rid of the crash, it gave me another problem.

My username would move to the center, the Loading your personal settings... text will appear, but then it will hang. I can move the mouse, but other than that, nothing happens. I couldn't even login in Safe Mode or Safe Mode with Networking anymore.

But I could login in Safe Mode with Command Prompt.

Safe Mode with Command Prompt still starts Windows, but loads Command Prompt instead of explorer on startup. (so it's not the same thing as the Restart in MSDOS mode option in the shutdown menu of older versions of Windows. That used to restart the computer but remain in DOS instead of start Windows) Ironically, you can run explorer from Command Prompt and it'll work. (it works for me too)

So I sent my computer to the repair shop in town to see if they could fix it and not even they could get it working.

So after I got my computer sent back I created a new virtual machine, installed Windows XP on it and then went and installed everything from the first ISO one by one.

The first thing I installed was Yamaha MIDPLUG. After I installed it, nothing happened. So I knew MIDPLUG wasn't causing the problem.

Then I went on to install the S-YXG50 Softsynthesiser. After I installed it, I was prompted to restart the computer. So I restarted the machine and it crashed during the login screen like originally. It turned out that the culprit was the S-YXG50 Softsynthesiser. Luckily I was prepared for that, because I tried to uninstall almost everything installed from those two ISOs including S-YXG50. Except the uninstaller for S-YXG50 didn't remove two dlls because they were in use. (the dlls were sxgb.dll and sxgbsys.dll) Either this is an older version from 1999 (when XP was on the way) or that version was rushed out the door. It is likely to have been rushed out the door because if it is old, then that would make little sense because XP was on the way.

Tl;dr, I had a VMWare XP virtual machine. I installed S-YXG50 Softsynthesiser using two isos; https://archive.org/details/CDV73B1 and https://archive.org/details/3DS724Acd.
When prompted I selected 'Restart Later'. However, I was unable to run various applications. After rebooting, XP booted and presented the 'Users' options - but when I selected any one of the User accounts, it seemed that the profile starts to load (the user logo moves to the centre of the screen) ... but then crashes and restarts.
I was able to boot in Safe Mode. From there I went into msconfig and in the General tab unchecked Process SYSTEM.INI, PROCESS WIN.INI and Load System Services. Now the user profile starts to load, but then hangs i.e. does not enter the reboot cycle.

I would like to recover this virtual machine, as I don't have a recent backup or restore point.

So now I am here wondering if you can help me out so I can get back on track. I don't usually post on computer error related forums, but I feel that I have to because I am really stuck. Any help would be great.

Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-05-2019, 06:17 AM   #2
Team Manager
Microsoft Support

OS: Windows10. In the past CP/M, DOS, Windows 95, 2000, 98SE, ME, Vista & Windows 7

My System

I don't usually recommend product, but some have had good success with this: Recover My Files Data Recovery Software

The stability of an OS is in direct proportion to the stability of the user.
Old 05-05-2019, 06:24 AM   #3
Registered Member

Might be risky. Are you sure it's safe?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-05-2019, 06:34 AM   #4
Team Manager
Microsoft Support

OS: Windows10. In the past CP/M, DOS, Windows 95, 2000, 98SE, ME, Vista & Windows 7

My System

Can't vouch because I haven't used it. Backup first. Search for VM and or things you know were in the VM. BTW, glad to see there are still WP fans out there.

EDIT: Some staff members have had good results with this Piriform product: https://www.ccleaner.com/recuva
vanukuru.vinod likes this.

The stability of an OS is in direct proportion to the stability of the user.
Old 05-05-2019, 07:17 AM   #5
Team Manager - Hardware
Acting Manager, Security Center

My System

I have used both quite a bit with RecoverMyFiles being the much better product
and never saw any risk or damage with either.
vanukuru.vinod likes this.

All PC's are not the same. Posting your PC specs will help us to assist you quicker and more effectively.
Old 05-07-2019, 01:30 PM   #6
Registered Member

UPDATE: As of this writing, I managed to get almost everything back together again. In other words,

If your computer stops working after you've installed that dangerous version of SYXG50, I'll tell you what I did so you can try it out at home:

1. Have a recovery disc ready. (you can also download an ISO)
2. Insert the disc into the computer. (or if you're using an ISO, mount it, use ISO image software, or burn it onto a blank disc. If you're using a virtual machine, load it into the virtual machine)
3. Restart the computer/virtual machine.
4. Press any key to boot from the CD. Make sure you've set the computer/virtual machine to boot from the CD.
5. Once Setup has loaded, press R to load the Recovery Console.
6. Once Setup has loaded the Recovery Console, press any key.
7. Select your country's keyboard layout.
8. If you get a message asking you which Windows installation you would like to use, press the key of the installation that won't work. (i.e. 1: C:\WINDOWS)
9. Type cd system32. (or wherever sxgb.dll and sxgbsys.dll are)
10. Type del or delete sxgb.dll and del or delete sxgbsys.dll.
11. Type exit to restart the computer/virtual machine.
12. Click on your username.
13. If you get a message asking you to activate Windows, click Yes. If your computer used to crash, (didn't hang) it's unlikely you'll get this message, so you can skip steps 13-23.
14. Check Yes, activate by phone, then click Next.
15. Call either one of the activation phone numbers on the screen.
16. Follow the instructions provided by the phone.

17. Once you've been given the confirmation ID, click Next. (yes, it's still possible to activate XP)

18. Click Finish.
19. You may notice you can't connect to the internet, there is no sound and your desktop looks ugly. To fix this, go to the start menu and click on Run.
20. Type services.msc.
21. Use this guide: Black Viper's Windows XP x86 (32-bit) Service Pack 3 Service Configurations | Black Viper | www.blackviper.com. Tweak the services following the Safe column. (the author also provides downloads that tweak them automatically)
22. Close the Services window and restart the computer/virtual machine.
23. Click on your username.
24. Hooray!

It may not be exactly how I would've liked it, but I suppose it'll do for now...better than crashing and hanging combined in all honesty.

So if anyone is reading this, you may as well lock this thread. But if I ever need help again, I can always just come back here.

See you soon!
Old 05-07-2019, 02:27 PM   #7
Team Manager - Hardware

My System

I hope you realize that a program like Macrium Reflect which is free makes an image file in about 12-15 minutes and restores back in 10 minutes and it is so simple to use. Make an image file before installing anything new and you never have to worry about this convoluted silliness again. I will never understand why people risk everything that is on their pc on a daily basis and do nothing to safeguard their systems.

All PC's are not the same. Posting your PC specs will help us to assist you quicker and more effectively.
Old 05-07-2019, 05:18 PM   #8
Registered Member

You need either a soundcard with an XG chip on it or one of the XG soft-synths like the S-YXG50 or S-YXG100. I used to listen to XG midis for hours on end back in the day. Loved them. Sadly I no longer have any soundcards with an XG chip.

Soundcards with XG chips still turn up on Ebay pretty regularly but they almost always command a premium price. Anywhere from around $30 to the sky.

I used to miss those days. Not any more because you can actually play them in Linux with the proper setup. You don't need a soundcard with an XG chip and they'll sound almost exactly as they were created. it does require some knowledge though to get it all working and if you have no knowledge of Linux then you'd likely have a tough time.
Old 05-08-2019, 09:31 AM   #9
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich-M View Post
I hope you realize that a program like Macrium Reflect which is free makes an image file in about 12-15 minutes and restores back in 10 minutes and it is so simple to use. Make an image file before installing anything new and you never have to worry about this convoluted silliness again. I will never understand why people risk everything that is on their pc on a daily basis and do nothing to safeguard their systems.

Nothing I usually install is that dangerous. Also, what I don't understand is why installing something that not only enables you to do much more with MIDI but also is the talk of the town on VGMusic could be so risky.
Old 05-08-2019, 10:13 AM   #10
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdk1000 View Post
You need either a soundcard with an XG chip on it or one of the XG soft-synths like the S-YXG50 or S-YXG100. I used to listen to XG midis for hours on end back in the day. Loved them. Sadly I no longer have any soundcards with an XG chip.

The XG software I referred to that caused the problem was a softsynth. It also sucks that we are no longer able to listen to MIDIs in XG, and yet people on VGMusic still make MIDIs for it. I don't even understand how!

Quote:
I used to miss those days. Not any more because you can actually play them in Linux with the proper setup. You don't need a soundcard with an XG chip and they'll sound almost exactly as they were created. it does require some knowledge though to get it all working and if you have no knowledge of Linux then you'd likely have a tough time.

Yeah, I can really relate to- wait, "used to"?! What's up? I thought XG was supposed to be better than GS, let alone GM! Also, you can listen to XG MIDIs properly in Linux?! I wonder how Linux's MIDI playback works.

BTW, I find it strange that they made newer versions of Windows, yet they all still use the Microsoft GS Wavetable Synth. You'd think by now they'd make an updated version, or switch to XG, or atleast make a soundfont based device.
Old 05-08-2019, 10:24 AM   #11
Registered Member

Yes XG sounds way better than GS if you ask me. And the first XG cards came out in the mid 90s. The downfall of the XG cards was the widespread adoption of motherboards with built in sound chips in the early 2000s. That's where Realtek cornered the market. It was pretty much the death knell for ALL discreet "consumer grade" sound cards.

And don't even get me started on the short lived "SoundFont" technology Creative Labs developed. It never really caught on either. Probably because you needed a proprietary card for that too, like XG playback. And Linux can also play back SoundFonts without needing the proprietary soundcards for those as well.

Linux just works. I only really keep Windows around any more for the couple games I play that have no Linux ports. But that may change too when Google's Stadia platform goes mainstream.
Old 05-08-2019, 10:35 AM   #12
Registered Member

And yet people on VGMusic still make MIDIs for XG today! Like I said, I don't even understand how! In fact, if you really want to get jealous, Jace recently made MIDIs on there that require...and your ears aren't kidding you...XG Level 3! Beautiful! Does anyone even have XG Level 3?
Old 05-08-2019, 03:14 PM   #13
Team Manager - Hardware

My System

Anything you install has the potential to warp out Windows.

Old 05-09-2019, 03:26 AM   #14
Registered Member

The levels just refer to the polyphony. Which is the number of channels ("voices" in MIDI parlance) that can play simultaneously. Level one is 32, level 2 is 64 and Level 3 is 128.
Old 05-09-2019, 10:36 AM   #15
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich-M View Post
Anything you install has the potential to warp out Windows.

Videogames aren't egregious about this. Programs like DOSBox, WinJammer and Goldwave produce a higher chane of risk, but there's not too many of them so you should be clear. But with things like SYXG50, oh boy! There be dragons!
Old 05-09-2019, 10:40 AM   #16
Registered Member

Quote:
The levels just refer to the polyphony. Which is the number of channels ("voices" in MIDI parlance) that can play simultaneously. Level one is 32, level 2 is 64 and Level 3 is 128.

There also exists the MU series of synthesisers, which is similar to XG but cheaper.

Also I found a VSTi based on SYXG50. Might have a look at it when I get a chance.
Old 06-02-2019, 11:58 PM   #17
Troubled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizzaking27 View Post
There also exists the MU series of synthesisers, which is similar to XG but cheaper.
Really?Do you know the price of it?
Old 06-03-2019, 09:50 AM   #18
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wuchens View Post
Really?Do you know the price of it?

I dunno. They go roughly around 50-100 on eBay. But alas, I am also unsure of anything that emulates the MU series.
Old 06-03-2019, 09:53 AM   #19
Registered Member

Also, I didn't expect this topic to be bumped. I thought it would've been locked by now.
Closed Thread