Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

User Tag List

Is my laptop dead?

This is a discussion on Is my laptop dead? within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. It's my old Toshiba Satellite I bought from a friend years ago. It always was a reliable workhorse for as

Closed Thread

Old 09-03-2017, 06:38 PM   #1
Registered Member

It's my old Toshiba Satellite I bought from a friend years ago. It always was a reliable workhorse for as long as I can remember. I didn't power it up for probably the last 12-18 months since I didn't need it.
But now that I do need it, it'not really working anymore.

- Computer powers up, can access BIOS and all.
- Windows XP logo with loading bar (over black background) loads fine
- The problem is when you need to select profile/password (Windows Logo with a blue background page), there's just nothing there. No box for passwords, no profiles to select, nothing but Windows logo forever. I can hear the laptop running, but it's stuck there no matter what I do.
- Same thing in safe mode, same thing if I hit f10 and try the recovery thing

Is there something I can do? I don't have the Windows CD and I'm not sure I can get my hands on it any time soon.
Any help greatly appreciated
Thanks

P.S. I took a picture of where it's stuck, you can see it in the attachements!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170903_212755.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	76.3 KB
ID:	312345  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-03-2017, 11:36 PM   #2
Moderator TSF
Hardware Team Moderator

Hello! Welcome to TSF. Press Ctrl-Alt-Delete twice at the logon screen shown in the image you attached. The logon dialog should appear. Enter a username and password (if any) to log in.
Old 09-03-2017, 11:58 PM   #3
Registered Member

Hey Stancestans, thanks forbl the quick reply and the warm welcome!
Unfortunately, that didn't do the trick :/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-04-2017, 01:37 AM   #4
Moderator TSF
Hardware Team Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterTadz View Post
Hey Stancestans, thanks forbl the quick reply and the warm welcome!
Unfortunately, that didn't do the trick :/
In that case there isn't much you can do without a boot cd of. There is the possibility of manually restoring the system by replacing Windows registry hive files, but you will need access to the hard drive. A Linux boot cd or some free rescue cd can be used to access the drive and replace those files with hopefully working ones. Out of curiosity, what could you be needing from such an old laptop that you haven't powered up for at least a year?
Old 09-04-2017, 08:07 AM   #5
Registered Member

I mainly use ot for Photoshopping stuff for my band (tickets, flyers, etc...) and doing some multitrack recording!
So I'll try to get my hands on a Win XP boot CD, I guess.
From there will it be as easy as making it boot from Cd then repair install? I don't really mind losing the files on it and I do have the original CD of the softwares I need!
Old 09-04-2017, 05:02 PM   #6
Networking Team |Tech

Hi there,

Yes, I recommend getting your hands onto a "LEGITIMATE" copy of a Windows XP CD. This way, you can perform a WINDOWS REPAIR on the computer. Windows Repair will repair all of the windows system files and such.

Hope everything works out well for you.

Old 09-05-2017, 01:26 AM   #7
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

If you don't have access to a Windows XP CD, or don't want to buy one from Ebay or Amazon, then download the free and totally legal version of the Recovery Console ISO image. Burn this image to CD using IMGBurn available in my signature. This is not a image of an XP install CD, it only has the Recovery Console on it, it will not replace any missing system files. But it will allow you to boot the computer into the Recovery Console with a CD and run commands from the Recovery Console.
Boot off of the CD into the Recovery Console.
Here type one of the following bold commands and press enter, then try to boot normally, if one doesn't work, try the next one.
fixboot
fixmbr
bootcfg
Old 09-05-2017, 05:52 AM   #8
Moderator TSF
Hardware Team Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterTadz View Post
So I'll try to get my hands on a Win XP boot CD, I guess.
From there will it be as easy as making it boot from Cd then repair install? I don't really mind losing the files on it and I do have the original CD of the softwares I need!
If my memory serves me right, repair install will be available only if the edition of Windows XP on the hard drive is the same as the one on the XP CD. So, if the edition to be repaired is Windows XP Home, then you'll need a Windows XP Home CD. Likewise if it's XP Professional. I'm not sure if an XP Professional CD can repair install XP Home. Since you don't mind losing data and you have the setup packages for your software, you might as well run a clean installation.

Yes, it's as easy as booting from the CD and choosing repair install. Windows setup will take it up from there. That option was genius if you ask me. I can't count how many times it got things out of the gutter.
Old 09-05-2017, 02:12 PM   #9
Registered Member

Thanks a bunch, guys, I will try the Recovery Console thing, and if not working I'll hit eBay to get a Win XP CD.
I'll make sure the versions are the same.
:)
Closed Thread