Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

User Tag List

Irritating boot problem (hanging at "loading your personal settings")

This is a discussion on Irritating boot problem (hanging at "loading your personal settings") within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Im getting a really annoying problem where my computer will get as far as "loading your personal settings" screen and

Closed Thread

Old 08-30-2010, 05:06 AM   #1
Registered Member

Im getting a really annoying problem where my computer will get as far as "loading your personal settings" screen and basically hang up.

I had a virus infection just recently which i cleaned up. A few days later my computer started doing this. It boots up normally until it gets to the "loading your personal settings" screen then it will not go any further.

The mouse responds and there is hard disk activity but nothing happens. I also don't get the windows start-up sound. It will do this probably 9 times out of ten. When it does boot up all the way it works fine and runs perfectly. I had it running for 3 days without any problems.

Some more info:
  • I have tried unplugging the computer from my router, this had no apparent effect.
  • The computer will boot up fine every time in safe mode & safe mode with networking
  • I have disabled everything in the start-up apart from AVG FREE edition. This has not had any apparent effect
  • I ran a check-disk last night and it found no errors.
  • when it hangs up, ctrl+alt+del does not work, alt+tab also does not do anything
  • I have downloaded the latest AVG setup file and ran a repair install, this had no apparent effect
  • I haven't ran system file checker since as the system works fine in safe mode i assume that the system files are probably fine.
  • i had avast on the system but it got really screwed up so in the end i used the avast uninstall tool to remove it.

I currently have left it sitting at "loading your personal settings" while im at work to see if it will boot up eventually, i figure since there is hard disk activity it must be doing something. Im also going to try uninstalling and re-installing AVG later as well. So anyway i was wondering if anyone has any ideas for other stuff i could try?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-30-2010, 05:41 AM   #2
Registered Member

Hi cloudflint, only a question, have you try to create another user profile to verify if the problem persists on another account?
It seems to be a profile problem..
Old 09-03-2010, 12:07 PM   #3
Registered Member

Hi cloudflint, this is Keoni Chavez, Junior Community Manager with AVG. I'm sorry to hear about your computer problems; are they still occurring?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-03-2010, 02:50 PM   #4
Registered Member

Send a message via MSN to Rabnix

Does it do the problem when running in safe mode? If you can get it to boot in safe mode on a consistent basis, it's probably a process that windows is trying to start. Try running Antivirus again from safe mode, just to be safe try to use another anti-malware program as well. I use Spybot Search & Destroy. It's really saved my butt on some nasty problems.
Old 09-04-2010, 03:54 AM   #5
TSF Enthusiast

Have you tried disabling all the Non Microsoft Services? Start in Safe mode go to System Config/Services tab click on Hide all Non Microsoft Services, then Disable All, then try to start in Normal Mode.
Old 09-04-2010, 04:30 AM   #6
Registered Member

If you have some technical ability and suspect that your computer is infected. Then it could be very hard to remove the virus from your operating system. The best solution would be to remove your HDD from your PC and connect it to another working PC, then scan your HDD with antivirus from safe mode. Antivirus Scanning from safe mode takes longer time but it is more effective. If you don't know how to remove your HDD from your system and install it into another machine, then try to use some bootable antivirus CD.
Old 09-05-2010, 11:25 AM   #7
Registered Member

Hi thanks for all the replies, i tried uninstalling avg and re-installing it which had no effect. I ran sfc and it all came up fine. I even tried putting my main hdd into my server and scanning it from that which came up clean.

I also tried making a new profile which kinda worked but the whole machine became unstable and eventually just totally stopped working so i figured screw it and i went out and bought another hard disk and a copy of windows 7 so im now running that and have another 640 gigs to play with :D I suspect the virus damage was merely the straw that broke the camels back as there was a whole host of minor things wrong the with computer which i had never gotten round to sorting. anyway i have windows 7 now and my computer is running tremendously fast now that my four cores are being utilised effectively :D
Closed Thread