Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

User Tag List

Interrupts - HIGH CPU usage

This is a discussion on Interrupts - HIGH CPU usage within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hello, I have noticed that, for the past few weeks, my procexp has been showing the interrupts using upwards of

Closed Thread

Old 08-13-2009, 11:34 AM   #1
Registered Member

Hello, I have noticed that, for the past few weeks, my procexp has been showing the interrupts using upwards of 75%-100% of my CPU. I know that the interrupts deal with the hardware of your computer.

I have been searching around to find a fix and the most common solution was to switch the IDE channels to DMA mode (PIO mode caused the high cpu usage) but all of mine were in DMA mode. I have used driver sweeper programs to remove my video card, modem, etc.. But I have had no luck. I've switched out hardware, changed bios settings, booted up with any startup programs.. Nothing.

I have scanned my computer for spyware, adware, virsus, trojans.. Etc.. I had a few pesky adwares installed but nothing significant enough to cause this problem.

I came across a program, made by microsoft, that would watch the interrupts and log every driver that was using the CPU time. I have uploaded the file below. Hopefully you can make better sense of it.. It seems to me it MIGHT be a video card issue because it counted A LOT of ISR with the "VIDEOPRT.SYS" driver? Possibly my video card is faulty?

Anyways, if you have any insight into this that would be amazing.

Thank you very much!

WinXP SP3 (It did it before in SP2 as well)
AMD Sempron 3300
1 Gig Ram
Nvidia 6800 [AGP] (Latest drivers)

EDIT; You'll have to open the .txt in wordpad. Otherwise it's a giant jumbled mess.
Attached Files
File Type: txt MOM-PC.cswa-accumulator-report.txt (25.4 KB, 92 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-13-2009, 11:50 AM   #2
Registered Member

Wow.. I fixed it.

I feel pretty dumb. Hopefully anyone googling this same problem will learn from my sillyness. Yes, it did have to do with my videocard (VideoPort.sys). It turns out the card was a little loose.. After pushing it back in the Interrupts dropped back down to ZERO. I can't believe it. I tried puling the card out ever-so-slightly and it jumped back up. Amazing

Thanks anyways, this is an awesome forum. Hopefully someone will stumble across this and find a solution to their problem
Closed Thread