Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

User Tag List

internet works on 1 computer, but not others?

This is a discussion on internet works on 1 computer, but not others? within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. so, we just got our internet hooked up with westman communications. no router, just a moden, so we can only

Closed Thread

Old 07-14-2012, 12:04 AM   #1
Registered Member

so, we just got our internet hooked up with westman communications. no router, just a moden, so we can only connect 1 computer at once. he originally connected it to our desktop, but i wanted to use it on my laptop for a while, and it wouldint connect. it said limited or no connectivity. i played with the settings, no luck, (desktop winxp, laptop win7) so i try on my other winxp laptop. same damn thing. i put back in desktop, no problem. *** is going on here?!? as far as i know he didint install any software or change any settings and if so he did very quickly. could they program it to only allow itself to be connected to one computer? whats up??!!??! is there any way i can use it on my other computers?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-14-2012, 05:30 AM   #2
CCT
Helper

Did you enter all the necessary data into the Network Connection area on the second computer?
Old 07-14-2012, 02:46 PM   #3
TSF Team, Emeritus

OS: Windows 10 64 bit, Windows 8 64, Windows 7 64 Bit SP1, XP SP3, Mac OSX 10.11.5

My System

In XP: Go to Start/Run and type inetcpl.cpl and press enter/Connections/LAN Settings. Make sure all the boxes are unchecked. Now go to Start/Run and type ncpa.cpl and press enter. Right click the Local Area connection/Properties scroll down to Internet Protocol (TCP-IP)/Properties. Make sure Obtain an IP Address and DNS Server Address Automatically are both checked. Now go to Start/Run and type CMD and press enter. IN the Command Prompt type ipconfig /release and press enter. the IP Address changes to 0.0.0.0 Now type ipconfig /flushdns and press enter. Now type ipconfig /renew. Now type ipconfig /all. You should have a new IP address try it again. If you still cannot connect please include the text output of your ipconfig /all in your next post
Closed Thread

Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
[SOLVED] help!!!! guy gone crazy with bluscreans!!!:@:@
i have an intel dh55hc motherboard in my pc i built my pc during summertime and at that time i got the patriot ram ... the whole stock had problems .. (they work with onestick bt the pc wont boot with 2 sticks) so i had a stick of 2gigs of that ram .. then i upgraded it with a kingston ram ..and...
avok95 Motherboards, Bios & CPU 21 11-17-2013 07:14 AM
XPSP3 Computer cannot connect to the internet after malware removals
I have been trying to clean up my Dad's computer from various spyware and viruses, with some success. I'm not sure exactly what is wrong with his computer, and I'm on the verge of telling him to junk it and get a new one. I'm posting here in the hopes that someone might be able to help out. It...
gda1 Resolved HJT Threads 78 01-26-2012 12:29 PM
Windows XP Fix
I have got this intruder on my computer. I cannot access the internet or anything else. I was going to do a system restore, but I cannot get to it. I do have another computer with Vista, but I need the XP computer for work. Please help!
mishamisha Virus/Trojan/Spyware Help 26 07-14-2011 07:36 PM
Possible Virus/Trojan?
I'm having issues with ZoneAlarm not being able to activate anti-virus/anti-spyware. I've updated the a.v. database as well as the app itself to the latest versions but still cannot get av/as to activate. It remains disabled and the option to turn it on is grayed out. I'm also unable to get...
Dan V. Resolved HJT Threads 35 03-28-2011 09:29 AM
Power Supply Information and Selection
:smile: CHOOSING AND UNDERSTANDING A POWER SUPPLY UNIT The power supply unit in today’s modern computer assumes a role probably more critical than any other single component in your system even when compared to the CPU and motherboard. Therefore, there are multiple factors that must...
Tumbleweed36 RAM and Power Supply Support 0 07-09-2006 04:41 PM