Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

User Tag List

Internet Speed Problems

This is a discussion on Internet Speed Problems within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I have a dual-boot PC with Windows 7 and Windows XP, both 64-bit. Over the past month, I've noticed my

Closed Thread

Old 02-18-2009, 09:17 AM   #1
Registered Member

My System

Question

I have a dual-boot PC with Windows 7 and Windows XP, both 64-bit.

Over the past month, I've noticed my internet slowing down, and put it down to the ISP, but when I booted into windows 7 recently, the internet is significantly faster. YouTube videos which might take several minutes to download in XP load in a few seconds.

Sometimes XP struggles to do a simple google search. MSN Messenger is also having some major problems sending anyone messages, I get the delivery report error, almost every message I send.

I don't understand how the OS can affect my internet speeds so massively, they are both using the same hardware, and have a similar number of background processes.

I've tried the obvious, defrag hard drives, scanned for viruses in kaspersky AV, ad-aware & spybot. But XP is still going painfully slow online.

I've used Opera, Firefox and IE7 (grudgingly) in XP
and Chrome, Firefox and IE8 in 7.

Both systems are running firefox with the same add-ons.

Thanks,

Ryan.

PC Specs:
Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 (overclocked to 3.4 GHz)
Windows 7 x64 (build 7000) / XP x64 (SP2) on 120 GB IDE disk
ASUS P5K-E (WiFi AP)
2 GB DDR2-800 OCZ RAM
ATi Radeon HD3650
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-18-2009, 11:12 AM   #2

Does your XP system have any firewalls active? Any other web-oriented protection systems?
Old 02-18-2009, 12:54 PM   #3
Registered Member

My System

No software firewall, I have a firewall built into my router. I just have the security programs I already mentioned, although I recently uninstalled ad-aware.

The slowdown on XP seems to be somewhat intermittent, but whenever I reboot into 7, the problem resolves itself.

Meanwhile on my laptop (Windows 7) it seems to be somewhere between the two, running at an average speed.

Thanks,

Ryan.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-18-2009, 01:04 PM   #4

See if Kaspersky is causing the slowdown by temporarily disabling it.
Old 02-21-2009, 02:38 AM   #5
Registered Member

My System

Sorry, for the delay in reply.

Disabling Kaspersky definitely made a positive difference to the internet speed on XP.

Are you going to suggest I find a new AV software?
Old 02-21-2009, 01:32 PM   #6

It is your choice. If you can live with the slowdown, then you can live with Kaspersky. Otherwise, there are several other free and paid choices that are at least as good as Kaspersky if not better, and which have not been reported to cause any slowdowns in surfing (I use avast free edition and have never had a problem with slowdowns).
Old 02-22-2009, 01:14 PM   #7
Registered Member

My System

Well I've used Kaspersky for about a year, after finding each version of norton becoming worse and worse. And it hasn't caused me any issues until now.

It's exactly the same version I have installed on windows 7 and that's not causing any issues, surely there's something I can tweak?
Old 02-23-2009, 08:33 AM   #8

I am not familiar with Kaspersky, so I will wait for someone else to jump in and offer their suggestions.
Old 02-23-2009, 09:49 AM   #9

i've sme internet problem whn i installd kaspesky for the first time.... I use tune up utilities also... its wrking fne nw....
Closed Thread