Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

User Tag List

Internet connectivity issue

This is a discussion on Internet connectivity issue within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I am currently having a very frustrating internet connectivity issue with my windows install. I cannot access anything on the

Closed Thread

Old 07-22-2007, 06:12 PM   #1

Evil

I am currently having a very frustrating internet connectivity issue with my windows install. I cannot access anything on the internet, through any means, ports, or programs possible on my windows install. I can see all my lan stuff perfectly but cannot access anything outside of that.

I have multiple computers hooked up going through this one connection onto the internet without issue, so the problem is specific to this computer only. Well actually to this (Windows) operating system on this computer only. I can access everything fine on my Ubuntu install on the same computer, yet when i try and access anything on my windows it does not work.

I have tried rebooting my router, my cable modem, my computer and it still doesn't work. Anybody have a solution to this problem? Any help is greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-22-2007, 07:01 PM   #2
TSF Enthusiast

My System

What version of windows is this? Was this a clean install? Can you give me the specs to this computer. If you go to the device manager do you see any yellow or red exclamation points. Please post if you do. You may have to install the drivers.
Thanks
Old 07-22-2007, 07:39 PM   #3

Its windows xp professional. This install has been functioning fully for around 6 months, with full internet access. It just stopped working recently (last week) and it was random, I didnt make any changes, didnt change any hardware, didnt instally any programs. I have drivers for all my hardware and the do function, and the hardware all functions, seeing as im posting this from my linux (ubuntu) install on a different hard drive but same hardware.

Do you know of any viruses or malware that could be possibly causing this connectivity issue? I do download a lot of software, music, etc though i am always careful about what I download, it could have slipped in.

I know the problem is in my computer, and only on that particular operating system. The best option might be for me to do a backup and re-install windows.
My best guess at this problem is a config issue, or a virus or malicious program.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-22-2007, 08:25 PM   #4
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Seeing that your linux system is operating normally you hardware (network cards) are functioning properly. But under windows you may have driver configuration problems (check device manager). If there are no errors in the device manager I would run a full virus and spyware scan before doing a reinstall of windows. It is possible that a virus or spyware can cause problems. Is this computer connection hard wired or wireless? What browser are you using under windows? What type of antivirus program and firewall are you using?
Thanks
Please POST your results of your scans.
Thanks
Closed Thread