Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

User Tag List

Intermittent Internet Connection...

This is a discussion on Intermittent Internet Connection... within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Okay, Problem: For the last week or so my wife and I have been noticing breaks in our internet connection.

Closed Thread

Old 10-26-2005, 11:07 AM   #1

Cool

Okay,
Problem:
For the last week or so my wife and I have been noticing breaks in our internet connection. It will unexpectedly go down and come back up again in about 10 minutes. It will come back up on its own, or upon reboot.

I have roadrunner and there does not seem to be any problems with the modem connection. The cable runs straight into the modem and straight into the CPU, no routers, etc. All lights are correct on the modem when internet connection is not available so that leads me to believe it is something on the operating system or browser. However, I use IE and Firefox and both go down as well as Outlook Express, so that rules out a browser problem.

I think the most likely culprit is a software conflict. Last week I purchased and installed Kaspersky Antivirus (which, not suprisingly, is when I think the problems started). I also use ZoneAlarm Pro firewall and I am betting that they aren't happy with one another. I would just uninstall Kaspersky or ZoneAlarm, but I paid to much for each to not use them.

Does anyone know of any known conflicts between this software and if so, is there any way to work around it? If not, can you think of any other likely causes of this problem?

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-26-2005, 11:20 AM   #2
Registered Member

A software conflict is about the only reason I can see for this. You could try uninstalling Kaspersky just to see if that fixes it, if it doesn't just reinstall it. If that is your problem, you could get a refund, if possible. However, you don't have to run Kaspersky constantly. I just use Microsoft Antispyware as a spyware monitor (along with spyware blaster); then, I do a scan with my antivirus software every once in a while for viruses, trojans, ect. That works fine and I never have any issues. I just use the Windows Firewall for my firewall, mainly because I'm not really worried about hackers or anything of that sort.

Someone more informed on the matter may be able to offer you a better solution, but I hope it helps some.

CMA
Old 10-26-2005, 11:31 AM   #3

I may just turn off Kaspersky as you suggested and run it periodically. I guess it's not like I am protecting the CIA database or anything (or am I). At any rate, does anyone else know of any specific conflicts in this software that I can fix? Or is there another culprit?
Closed Thread