Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

User Tag List

installing xp on SSD

This is a discussion on installing xp on SSD within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I am having troubles installing to SSD and have been asking on usnet but getting nowhere, this is bits of

Closed Thread

Old 05-02-2017, 01:49 AM   #1
Registered Member

I am having troubles installing to SSD and have been asking on usnet but getting nowhere, this is bits of the discussion so far,

I put the ssd on its own into a computer and the install disc put
windows files on it but when it tried to reboot to do the next stage of
install it would not, if I leave disc in it just starts again from
beginning, If I remove disc it just hangs and windows does not start.

When the BIOS POST screen appears on a cold boot, do you see the SSD
drive listed in the device list?

I just had another go,I made hdd first boot,it tried to boot after exit
from bios,gave one beep and reverted to the gigabyte startup screen.

I then started mint on a stick after making usbhdd first boot I made
cdrom second and hdd third .
I then opened the SSD which has recycle bib, windows, boot.ini,
ntdetect.com, ndldr, and pagefile.sys files on it.

I had another go, install disc loads windows then copies files to SSD then restarts,I removed install disc it then says loading operating system, it then tries cd then then presumably SSD then says,a disc read error occurred, press control alt to restart
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-02-2017, 02:11 AM   #2
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

XP is invented way before SSD's were around, so there are a few problems with installing XP to an SSD.
First boot into Setup (Bios) look for Hard Drive mode and make sure it is set to AHCI.
Now the problem is that XP does not have native AHCI support as Newer versions of Windows have, so you have to download drivers for the SSD, then install them during the install. Second there is no support for TRIM in XP, so the drive cannot be optimized. The main reason for having an SSD.
Personally, I would install Windows 7 or 10 to the SSD and put a traditional HDD in as a secondary drive and install XP to that or in a Virtual Machine.
Old 05-03-2017, 08:17 AM   #3
Registered Member

My problem is that the install does not get far enough to install AHCI drivers. once it has installed the windows files to the SSD files to the SSD it tries to reboot to start windows to continue install but hangs up and does not get that far, it has not even asked for the product key.
It wont start windows from SSD no matter how I set bios boot order.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-03-2017, 01:40 PM   #4
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Quote:
First boot into Setup (Bios) look for Hard Drive mode and make sure it is set to AHCI.
Is the Hard Drive Mode set to AHCI?
The Drivers are installed during the install where it asks if you want to install SCSI drivers press F6, this happens way before the Windows Install starts to save files to the SSD. You may need to do a Bios Update as well.
I personally think you are wasting your time running XP Solely on an SSD. As XP is no longer supported and is very old OS. It is extremely difficult to make it work. You would be better off installing Windows 7 or 10 and running Windows XP in a Virtual Machine within in Windows.
Old 05-06-2017, 02:21 AM   #5
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spunk.funk View Post
Is the Hard Drive Mode set to AHCI?
The Drivers are installed during the install where it asks if you want to install SCSI drivers press F6, this happens way before the Windows Install starts to save files to the SSD. You may need to do a Bios Update as well.
I personally think you are wasting your time running XP Solely on an SSD. As XP is no longer supported and is very old OS. It is extremely difficult to make it work. You would be better off installing Windows 7 or 10 and running Windows XP in a Virtual Machine within in Windows.
The thing is an experiment, I wish to see XP operating on an SSD,Every body is saying can not ,should not, wont work, outdated os get too many attacks, unsupported etc.
I have used XP for many many years with no updates after SP3 ,no security updates and have had few problems contrary to the pundits thoughts so I thought I would see if XP on an SSD would work contrary to pundits thoughts.
it is now up and running after I formatted using win 7 instead of old XP apparently uses different alignments,ahci in bios, did not work first run pressing F6 but did second time not using F6,
Don't know if the win 7 format had anything to do with it.
Old 05-06-2017, 11:49 AM   #6
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

You might have just got lucky. Glad you got it working, though it seems like a lot of work for little reward.
More power to you that you are keeping XP alive. Since you are experimenting, here is link to a registry hack that allows you to keep XP getting Windows Updates into the future. Registry hack enables continued updates for Windows XP | ZDNet it works well.
Please mark this thread Solved in the Thread Tools at the top.
Attached Images