Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

User Tag List

Installed windows xp Home - cant auto update and net keeps breaking.

This is a discussion on Installed windows xp Home - cant auto update and net keeps breaking. within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi. Just installed windows xp home onto my newly fixed pc. The problem is I am completely unable to auto

Closed Thread

Old 10-12-2006, 03:26 PM   #1

Hi.

Just installed windows xp home onto my newly fixed pc. The problem is I am completely unable to auto update. When i click on the system tab under my computer and choose auto updated, all the options are blanked out and I cant click anything. Norton also says i have one item 'affecting my status', i clikc it, it tells me its auto update - i go to fix it and it fails to do so. basically, there's a conspiracy to keep me from updating this pc!

Incidentally the internet keeps messing up too. i dont know if its connected but about 50% of the time i go to a site it tells me 'server not found', then i retry a few times and eventually i get there. I have scanned for viruses using norton 2006 and nothing was found.

Any ideas? Thanks all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-12-2006, 04:52 PM   #2

uninstall the Norton then try the ms updates.
Old 10-16-2006, 09:32 AM   #3

uninstalled all of Norton and everything on the Autoupdate tab is still blanked out. Whats going on?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-16-2006, 10:18 AM   #4

it says: The windows update service is unavailable.

And everything is greyed out.
Old 10-16-2006, 10:25 AM   #5

Fixed. If anybody else has the same problem:

The first thing to check in this case would be to go to Start > run and type services.msc
Scroll down to automatic updates and double click on it, ensure the start-up type is automatic and the service is started. Then view the automatic update tab in system properties again. 99.9% of the time this is the cause, if you have an issue starting the service you may want to try going to start > run and entering sfc /scannow
Old 10-16-2006, 11:17 AM   #6
Troubled

My System

well done, that was going to be my suggestion, bit late. glad it is fixed for you.
Closed Thread