Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

User Tag List

Installation Problem With XP2

This is a discussion on Installation Problem With XP2 within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hello fellas, I just bought a new computer and installed Windows XP Pro. After OS installation, I did a Windows

Closed Thread

Old 10-27-2006, 01:21 PM   #1

Hello fellas,

I just bought a new computer and installed Windows XP Pro.

After OS installation, I did a Windows update and got all critical updates. For some reason, SP2 didn't display as a critical update. So, I searched microsoft for SP2 and downloaded it.

When it gets to the point of installing the update, I get an installation error: "C:/windows/system32/ftp.exe is open or in use by another application."

Should I reinstall XP and go for the SP2 update immediately before any other critical updates?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-27-2006, 03:35 PM   #2

Open Task Manager manager go to Processes then find ftp.exe and then click end process then go ahead and install SP 2 again. that should help.
Old 10-27-2006, 05:38 PM   #3
Registered Member

Hi Miles. Just a question or two. You stated that you just bought the computer.
1 - Did Windows XP Pro come pre-installed on the system?
2 - If it did not, when and where did you buy the XP Pro disc from?

What I am getting at is, if it came pre-installed, or you bought the XP disc recently at a retail store, I would think that it is already a Service Pack 2 version. If that is the case, you are trying to install SP2 on an Operating System that is already SP2. That could be why SP2 does not show when you check the Windows Update site. Could that be the problem?
It's just a thought, so forgive me if I am way off base.
Good luck and keep us updated.
Closed Thread