Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

User Tag List

Installation freezes at format

This is a discussion on Installation freezes at format within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I am trying to install Windows XP Pro slipstreamed w/ SP2 on a friends computer. I get as far as

Closed Thread

Old 01-14-2007, 03:22 PM   #1
Registered Member

My System

I am trying to install Windows XP Pro slipstreamed w/ SP2 on a friends computer. I get as far as the screen with the progress bar for formatting and it never starts. I placed the harddrive on my computer to see if there was a hardware issue with his box but the same thing happens. I know the disk works because it was the disk that originally installed XP on his machine. It is a reinstall trying to correct some performance issues, it was moving ultra slow with very low cpu usage. I thought it was due to a nasty virus that I could not remove due to the slowness so I figured that a fresh format would tighten things up. I have already deleted the partition so there's no going back now. Could the hard drive be damaged? Any help would be appreciated, hopefully before I have to give my friend the bad news :)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-14-2007, 03:26 PM   #2
UK

OS: Win XP Pro/XP Home/98se/Suse Linux 9.1 & Xandros 3 Deluxe

Download the diagnostic software from the drive manufacturer’s website and run a test on the drive, if it tests ok, zero the drive and try again.

https://www.techsupportforum.com/hard...utilities.html
Old 01-20-2007, 11:20 PM   #3
Registered Member

My System

I did diagnostics on the hard drive. The only problem that showed up was that the surface scan was only 20% done after 12 hours. That didn't seem right so I tried a new hard drive and everything works fine now. Thanks for your help.
Closed Thread