Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

User Tag List

In need of a second opinion!

This is a discussion on In need of a second opinion! within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi there guys! Okay it all started when my pc started lagging on windows startup and when running programs. I

Closed Thread

Old 06-05-2007, 06:05 AM   #1

Hi there guys!

Okay it all started when my pc started lagging on windows startup and when running programs. I thought that my RAM was failing so i downloaded WinDiag Memory tester (This memory tester works as a boot cd). I have 2 512Mb chips in my pc so i ran the test on each chip seperately and everytime i ran the test it would hang, i thought this was wierd so i downloaded another memory tester and the same thing happened on both chips. I then took the 2 512MB chips and installed them into another Pc and Ran the tests and they passed on many passes with both programs. I then thought that maybe the CPU is overheating and cleaned all the dust out with a high powered blower, installed the chips and ran the tests again on my pc, they didnt freeze up this time but Failed the "LDAPT" test on every pass, now what i want to know is, is it a problem with my motherboard \ CPU or Maybe i need to flash the bios or something an if so how? I have a VIA PM800 Motherboard with an Intel Pentium 4 3.0Ghz CPU. If you guys could let me know what these symptoms usually mean a failure of ,it would be much appreciated! Thanks guys!!!
Mark
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-05-2007, 03:57 PM   #2
Registered Member

My System

Send a message via AIM to redsunx Send a message via MSN to redsunx Send a message via Skype™ to redsunx

um....... heres my guess its the RAM slots on the mobo because i dont think your cpu is overheating just doing simple ram tests so thats my guess
Old 06-05-2007, 04:02 PM   #3
Roaming To Help

If it froze initially, it could've been heat related. Now according to your further tests, it seems like one or both of the memory slots on the MB are at fault.

Best way to check is, get one of the sticks that is known good, run the checks while alternating it in different slots. If it gives errors in one but not the others, it's the slot that is faulty.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-05-2007, 05:08 PM   #4
Troubled

Also, use Memtest86 to check the memory. I can't say it's "better" than any others, but it is the one that everyone here uses, and so they will be better able to discuss it's results with you.
Closed Thread