Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

User Tag List

IE7 exits instantly

This is a discussion on IE7 exits instantly within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. When I try to open the internet using ie7 it exits within 1sec. I can see the home page appear

Closed Thread

Old 08-17-2009, 01:27 PM   #1

When I try to open the internet using ie7 it exits within 1sec. I can see the home page appear but it closes instantly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-17-2009, 01:30 PM   #2
TSF Team, Emeritus

and welcome to the Forum

Try starting IE with no addins. . .

Click Start -> All Programs -> Accessories -> System Tools, and then click Internet Explorer (No Add-ons).

Old 08-17-2009, 01:39 PM   #3

When I do that the whole page is just blank I typed in an address but nothing happens but it dosen't exit.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-17-2009, 01:45 PM   #4
TSF Team, Emeritus

Tell us the story behind this . . what did you install or uninstall just prior to this happening? . . have you tried a system restore to a date prior to this happening?

Old 08-17-2009, 01:55 PM   #5

I deleted a load of music files and some games to free up some space. I have tried system restore anumber of times but no luck. The computer is a laptop that my son uses mainly for games. Could it be somekind of virus as he never scans the computer (he's only 7). I ran a scan now and found there was some spyware.
Old 08-17-2009, 01:57 PM   #6
TSF Team, Emeritus

Not much telling . . when you get into IE, click on Tools . . manage addons and disable them all. See if it behaves differently. You might install IE8 and see how it works ( aftere disableing all addins )

Old 08-17-2009, 02:06 PM   #7

The web page flashes up then goes before I have time to do anything. If open IE without add ins then the page is completely blank and there are no options to to anything. If I try to do a search in the google box at the top right hand side then the page exits instantly and a bleep is heard.

I have tried opening IE again and this time it just freezes and it says 'not responding' in the top left corner and on taskbar.

Kev
Old 08-17-2009, 02:09 PM   #8
TSF Team, Emeritus

FWIW, for pc's that munchkins use, I make a image of a working installtion to restore when thel ittle fingers go wild

It sounds like you need help with cleaning out malware, please follow the instructions here, and post the logs in a new thread in the malware removal section.

https://www.techsupportforum.com/f50/...lp-305963.html

After running through all the steps, please post the requested logs in the Virus/Trojan/Spyware Help forum, not here.

If you have trouble with one of the steps, simply move on to the next one, and make note of it in your reply.

Please note that the Virus/Trojan/Spyware Help forum is extremely busy, and it may take a while to receive a reply.

Old 08-17-2009, 06:29 PM   #9
Games Team | Tech
Networking Team-Tech

My System

There is a good chance that the problem is malware related. Does the computer seem to run slowly?

Gaming troubleshooting steps.

"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. -Jim Elliot
Closed Thread