Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

User Tag List

I Have To Reset My Windows XP Computer Several Times Before It Finally Boots!

This is a discussion on I Have To Reset My Windows XP Computer Several Times Before It Finally Boots! within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi, Tech Guys! First, the preliminaries: I am running an HP Media Center PC Model Number m1070n. My Operating System

Closed Thread

Old 05-19-2011, 02:21 AM   #1
Registered Member

OS: Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 [Windows Version 5.1, Build 2600, Service Pack 3]

Confused

Hi, Tech Guys!

First, the preliminaries: I am running an HP Media Center PC Model Number m1070n. My Operating System is: Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 (Windows XP Professional Version 5.1, Build 2600, Service Pack 3). My CPU is a 3.40 GHz Intel Pentium 4 Processor Chip with Hyper-Threading. I also have an ATI Radeon X700 Pro PCI-Express Graphics Card (256 MB GDDR3 Memory) with ATI Catalyst Control Center 9.3 installed. I have 2.560 GB of Usable DIMM Installed Memory and a 144 GB hard drive with 24% free space left. None of the hardware is new, and BIOS and all Microsoft Security and Software Updates, etc., are up to date. I have not made any BIOS updates in a few years now, but it is still the most up-to-date BIOS version available for my PC (HP BIOS Version 3.28). The ATI Graphics Card was installed into the machine by the Geek Squad when I bought it at Best Buy way back in 2004. I changed the CPU myself from a 2.80 GHz to a 3.40 GHz chip over four years ago. I also installed an after-market Bestec-equivalent 550-Watt Power Supply (Model ATX-300-12Z-550-24P) about two years ago after we had a local power failure with no problems ever since the installation. I am running ZoneAlarm Free Edition 9.2.106.000 Firewall with the Windows Firewall disabled. I am also running AVG Anti-Virus Free Edition 9.0.901, Spy Sweeper for MSN Version 5.5.3.2658, Microsoft Windows Defender Version 1.1.1593.0, Lavasoft Ad-Aware Free Edition 9.0.6, and Spybot Search & Destroy Free Edition 1.6.2.46. I only run one Anti-Spyware program at startup, namely Spy Sweeper for MSN Version 5.5.3.2658, to avoid program conflicts. I DO NOT have any viruses, malware, spyware, or adware installed on my PC, as I scan for it every other day, including today!

Anyway, I have a very weird problem and it's driving me nuts! Ever since this afternoon, I now have to reset my computer several times before it finally boots up. When I press the power button, my computer turns on just fine, but I just get a black screen on my monitor. It doesn't even get to the blue HP BIOS screen or the Windows XP screen, the monitor's screen just stays black. The yellow light on the front of the computer stays on solid yellow instead of flickering on and off like it normally does when I first start up my computer, and I can't hear my hard drive clicking like it normally does either.

I then press and hold in the reset button to turn off my machine. I wait about 10 to 20 seconds, then I start up the machine again. I have to do this several times, sometimes more than ten times, but I seem to have the greatest success in booting my PC if I let the computer run idle for about five minutes with the screen black and then reset the machine. It usually boots up on the very first try after I let it sit like this for five minutes before resetting.

Once the machine is running, it runs just fine with no errors. I can restart my machine, and it restarts just fine, again with no errors. However, if I completely shut down my PC and try to start it again after it's been off for a few minutes, I have to go through the reset procedure outlined above to get back to normal operating conditions. Once my PC is on, it runs without mishap. I'm afraid to turn my PC off at night now, for fear it'll never turn back on again, so I'm just leaving it on all of the time now. All of my cooling fans seem to be running fine, I am NOT over-clocking, and my keyboard, mouse, and all indicator lights seem to be on! What could the problem be? Could it be my Power Supply, even though it seems to be running just fine? I'm at a total loss! Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thank You!

Johnny
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-19-2011, 03:41 AM   #2
TSF Enthusiast

i realise that you don't want to switch off the pc at the moment. As it is running, can you check in event viewer and see if there are any error messages. Now, I realise you said that the pc starts to a black screen and "doesn't get to the BIOS screen". When you have tried booting, did you try to get to the BIOS by pressing the relevant key (may be F2, ESC or DEL) just to see if you could get there; did you try pressing F8 to get to safe mode. also do you have the OS disk.
Old 05-19-2011, 05:43 AM   #3
Registered Member

OS: Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 [Windows Version 5.1, Build 2600, Service Pack 3]

Hi, auntiej!

Thanks for your quick reply! I did try hitting the ESC key, but it had no effect. I also tried CTRL-ALT-DELETE, but again no effect. I did not try hitting F8 to get to safe mode.

In the Event Viewer, I have the following Errors:

Under "Application" I have eleven (11) instances of Error Event ID 490 from Source 'ESENT' and Category 'General' dated from 5/19/11 back to 3/17/11, four (4) instances of Error Event ID 470 from Source 'ESENT' and Category 'Database Corruption' dated from 4/29/11 back to 3/17/11, six (6) instances of Error Event ID 439 from Source 'ESENT' and Category 'Logging/Recovery' dated from 5/16/11 back to 3/17/11, one (1) instance of Error Event ID 1103 from Source '.NET Runtime Optimization Service' and Category 'None' dated 4/15/11, seven (7) instances of Error Event ID 5000 from Source 'MPSampleSubmission' and Category 'None' dated from 4/8/11 back to 4/3/11, fourteen (14) instances of Error Event ID 1802 from Source 'SecurityCenter' and Category 'None' dated from 4/22/11 back to 4/20/11, seven (7) instances of Error Event ID 4 from Source 'WinMgmt' and Category 'None' all dated 4/21/11, one (1) instance of Error Event ID 2 from Source 'CNET Tech Tracker' and Category 'None' dated 3/30/11, and two (2) instances of Error Event ID 0 from Source 'Lavasoft Ad-Aware Service' and Category 'None' dated 4/17/11 and 3/15/11.

Under "System" I have fifty-seven (57) instances of Error Event ID 7000 from Source 'Service Control Manager' and Category 'None' from 5/19/11 going all the way back to 4/27/11, one (1) instance of Error Event ID 2004 from Source 'WinDefend' and Category 'None' on 5/18/11, and one (1) instance of Error Event ID 29 from Source 'W32Time' and Category 'None' on 4/27/11.

Note: None of the other categories under Event Viewer have any Errors in them!

I'm not sure which of these Errors is important, so I listed them all. What should I try next?

Thanks Again!

Johnny
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-19-2011, 05:50 AM   #4
Registered Member

P.S. -- I forgot to mention that I also have the Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 OS disk!
Old 05-19-2011, 06:11 AM   #5
TSF Team, Emeritus

OS: Windows 7 Ultimate X64 and x86 SP1 & Windows XP Pro SP3

My System

Hi xphylz,

Got a few things for you to try here, so bear with me.

1] First and foremost, as you have the computer up and running, back up all your important data (pictures, films, music etc) onto an external device.

2] Another thing you should also do is to run a test on your RAM sticks with memtest86+ There are two ways to run the test, either from a CD or USB. You will need to burn the ISO to a CD and then boot to the CD and run at least 7 passes on each stick and in each slot (only the ones that are being used). There is an auto-installer for doing it via USB (again, you will have to change the boot order to boot to the USB if you choose this method)

Both downloads can be found halfway down the page. The reason that you should run it on one stick at a time, is so, if there is a fault with one of the sticks, then it's easy to figure out which one it is.

3] Run a HDD Diagnostic Tool on your HDD. If you know the make and model of your hard drive then head over to their site and find the diagnostic tool for the drive. If you don't then run a chkdsk/r:

First way Windows Key+R and type CMD and hit Enter. At the command prompt type 'chkdsk /r' (without the quotes) and hit Enter. (it may ask you to reboot, so press Y and then Enter)

or

Go My Computer and Right click on Local Disk (C:) and select 'Properties'. Then under the 'Tools' tab click on 'Check Now' next to Error Checking. In the small window that opens put a tick in both boxes and press 'Start'. It will say 'Windows can't check the disk while in use'. Just click 'Schedule disk check' and then OK. Reboot, and it will run on the next startup. This will check and try to fix any bad sectors on your hard disk.

4] Window Key+R and type msconfig and hit OK.
Under 'Services tab', tick 'Hide all Microsoft Services' and then uncheck the remaining programs and 'Apply'
Then under 'Startup tab' - Uncheck anything not Microsoft related then 'Apply' and OK

Then reboot and see if that helps. Trying to see if a program or something else may be interfering.

5] Check to see if you have any Restore Point from just before the date the issue started, and perform a System Restore.

[Edit] Just seen this.

Quote:
P.S. -- I forgot to mention that I also have the Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 OS disk!
Good. There is a good guide here on how to use the Recovery Console. Try this first.
Old 05-19-2011, 01:22 PM   #6
Registered Member

Hi, TheGift73!

I should have mentioned in my earlier posts that I've already tried a System Restore Point going back to Friday afternoon, May 13th, 2011. This point was well before this issue, as I've definitely not had my computer up and running full-time since then. It had no effect whatsoever when I restored back to this date! I tried that yesterday afternoon, first thing.

I'll give some of these other suggestions a try in the coming days and let you know how they work one by one. It'll take me some time to back up all of my data. Is there a program that I can quickly use that will backup and preserve all of my "My Documents" Folder, my Internet Explorer 8.06, Google Chrome 11.06, Mozilla Firefox 4.01, and Opera 11.11 Browser Favorites, Bookmarks & Settings, my Hotmail settings and links to E-mails (I've already stored all of my E-mails online! -- No E-mails are backed up or stored directly onto my computer!), my MSN Explorer 10.00 settings, my RoadRunner ISP settings, my program folders & shortcuts listed in Start / All Programs, my Quick Launch program shortcuts, my Start-Up programs listed in the Task Bar, and all of my other miscellaneous computer tweaks & settings that I can't think of right now?

I'd hate to spend the next couple of months trying to set up my PC again from scratch! I do have an HP external hard drive, but I'm going to have to free up some space on that, too, if I'm going to transfer all of my "My Documents" data, etc., to it. It's a 300 GB (279 GB Capacity) external hard drive with only 61 GB (21%) of free space remaining. I'll be in touch! This will all take awhile!

Take Care!

Johnny
Old 05-20-2011, 07:56 AM   #7
TSF Enthusiast

hi xphylz, TheGift has given you a lot to keep you busy for a while. you mentioned event ID 7000 on 19 May, and I thought you would like to have a look at the following from microsoft:
"Event ID: 7000" or "Event ID: 7013" Error Message When You Attempt to Start a Service
Old 05-26-2011, 06:48 PM   #8
Registered Member

Hi, auntiej!

A friend on mine suggested that I try replacing my computer's Power Supply first, so I'm currently looking at higher-wattage replacements. My computer came with a 300-Watt PSU, but I'm looking to upgrade to a 500-Watt PSU.

On a recent one of my boot attempts, the PC's motherboard speaker emitted a single, continuous, high-pitched tone which ended after hitting the "Reset" button again. It took me about 45 minutes of resetting before it finally booted up this time!

He also suggested taking a can of air to the interior. He said it solved his computer's problems in about five minutes!

Thanks!

Johnny

P.S. -- I downloaded Memtest86+ to check out my computer's RAM, but I haven't tried it out yet. I've never tried using an .ISO file before.
Old 05-26-2011, 07:06 PM   #9
TSF Team, Emeritus

OS: Windows 7 Ultimate X64 and x86 SP1 & Windows XP Pro SP3

My System

Hi xphylz,

Try the memtest as it's the best way to find out if you are having RAM memory issues. Don't be worried about never having used an ISO file as it is only an image file. Burn the ISO to a CD using Imgburn (it's free) and then place that CD into your computer and boot to it. There is also a USB tool that they have where you can run the test from your USB stick. (you will still need to boot to it)
You mentioned that you heard one long Beep? I can't see what your motherboard is, but here is a link to the HP site regarding beep codes.
Glad to hear that you are able to try a decent power supply to see if it is that that is causing the issue.
Reading back through the posts, I would guess at it either being an issue with RAM or the power supply.
Keep us updated.
Closed Thread