Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

User Tag List

I can't use the mouse or keyboard to login at the login screen, not in safe mode too

This is a discussion on I can't use the mouse or keyboard to login at the login screen, not in safe mode too within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Ok, here's the background. My wife's pc (identical to my own, and running on Windows XP)was restarting at shutdown recently

Closed Thread

Old 11-17-2007, 07:55 PM   #1

Ok, here's the background. My wife's pc (identical to my own, and running on Windows XP)was restarting at shutdown recently on it's own and I saw an error that said there was some kind of driver error. So, I uninstalled the nvidia drivers in hopes of installing the most recent ones. I don't know if this was the issue, but I was troubleshooting and I noticed that there was a recent driver update.

Well now I can't log on at all, because when I get to the windows login screen, the mouse and keyboard won't work. I see for an instance the cursor shows an hourglass, then nothing. I see the blinking cursor in the login field, but I can't type anything in there, and the mouse doesn't work.

So, I tried to do a system restore but it just sent me to the login screen, and no mouse or keyboard function persisted. When I tried to go into safe mode, it asked me what was the boot device I wanted to use (which after some searching I see is also an indicator of a problem, but I'm not sure what it means). I picked my HD and continued to do a restore to the last working config, and the same deal, can't login, no mouse or keyboard use at that sceen.

So, I tried going into safe and it shows both an administrator icon and my wife's user name, and I can't try either because again, the moust and keyboard aren't working here either!

I tried to boot with the windows xp disc in, even picked the boot source from the boot menu as floppy and again as the cd-rom. I read that doing so can sometimes fix things. No dice here either. I managed to get where I guess it was fixing things, and it asked for the adminstrator password. Well I'm the administrator and the only password I know isn't working.

So I'm at a loss. I'd prefer not to have to do a fresh install, but please, if anyone has any advice or directions, I REALLY need some hand holding here. I'm not an expert by any means, and I apparently know just enough about this stuff to get myself in trouble. I can use some direction and help and I would be majorly appreciative to anyone who can take the time to do so. I REALLY don't want to do start from scratch and re-install everything.

Thanks - MC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-17-2007, 07:58 PM   #2
TSF Enthusiast

what type of mouse/keyboard, wireless, ps2, usb?

when it asks for password at repair console, just press enter.
Old 11-17-2007, 08:30 PM   #3

Neither is wireless. The mouse is usb, but I've got a converter. I tried thsi with the converter too, no luck. The keyboard isn't usb, it's the round purple plug.

I tried just pressing enter when it asks for the administrator password and it just sends me to a c:/windows prompt. I have no idea what to do from here. I typed 'help' to get commands (my guess is this is the dos prompt?) and saw 'exit' and figured it's best to leave before I do more damage.

I'm still in a bind. I really don't want to have to do a total re-install, and though my Windows XP OS is a legit one, I hear they make you jump through hoops to re-activate it. Lastly - IF I have to do this, what do I need to do? I've never done this either. I naturally still have the discs (the OS and the driver discs for the MB, etc).

Please help! Thanks in advance - MC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-17-2007, 08:53 PM   #4
TSF Enthusiast

when you first turn on your computer, go into your bios/setup. It should tell you what key to press on the first screen.

If the date and time is not right, you may need to replace the bios battery.

If you are trying to do a repair install then

1. start computer with cd then press any key to boot from cd
2. when it says to setup windows xp press enter, press enter again on the welcome screen
3. do not press r to use recovery console
4. in winxp license agreement, press f8
5. select winxp then press r for repair
6. follow onscreen instructions.
Old 11-17-2007, 09:40 PM   #5

When you say to go into the BIOS to find what key to press, are you referring to what I do after I press 'enter' at the admin login screen, where I got stuck with a c:/windows promt?

Thx again
Old 11-17-2007, 09:42 PM   #6
TSF Enthusiast

the very first screen after powering on should tell you to press some f key to enter bios or enter setup or something similar.
Closed Thread