Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

User Tag List

http,https,ftp connectivity

This is a discussion on http,https,ftp connectivity within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi, my daughter has been having trouble logging onto the internet on her Acer notebook which has an xp operating

Closed Thread

Old 12-27-2012, 10:31 AM   #1
Registered Member

Hi, my daughter has been having trouble logging onto the internet on her Acer notebook which has an xp operating system.

The wireless network connection tells me that we are connected with excellent strength yet we cannot get onto the internet. When we run a diagnosis check it tells me there is a problem with http, HTTPS, ftp connectivity and that it may be linked to a anti virus (there does not appear to be one when I check then programs).

I have read some threads on this forum and tried the clear cookies cache, run cmd, release IP etc but to no avail. Any ideas?

Thanks Spike
[/LIST]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-27-2012, 10:50 AM   #2
Registered Member

Apologies just tried the diagnosis again and it says it is probably caused by firewall settings and to check the firewall settings for http port(80), HTTPS port (443) and ftp port (21).

No idea how to do this.

Thanks Spike
Old 12-27-2012, 01:18 PM   #3
Team Manager
Microsoft Support

OS: Windows10. In the past CP/M, DOS, Windows 95, 2000, 98SE, ME, Vista & Windows 7

My System

I'm assuming you're at home and the other units are not having this problem thereby eliminating the router as the cause and the Acer has worked in this location in the past. If not, your router security password etc. are the "cause" and the unit has to be set to receive properly. If it's the laptop itself, see if Norton or another AV is installed anywhere (not necessarily active) and report back with that info and running the cursor over the right side of the taskbar, if you find a firewall. If so, what brand is it?

The stability of an OS is in direct proportion to the stability of the user.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-27-2012, 02:24 PM   #4
Registered Member

Hi thanks for the reply. No anti virus on there and the only firewall is windows. She did bring the notebook to school and since using it there it seems to have caused the problem.
Old 12-27-2012, 02:26 PM   #5
Registered Member

By the way yes to all the other Q's - worked fine and all other laptops work fine.
Old 12-27-2012, 02:54 PM   #6
Team Manager
Microsoft Support

OS: Windows10. In the past CP/M, DOS, Windows 95, 2000, 98SE, ME, Vista & Windows 7

My System

I think the mentioning of the school is the key. Port 80 is particularly important to all internet activity. I'm guessing that without protection she picked malware of some type. Run the tests on her computer, then copy them to yours and post as follows.
I recommend that you read this article…
https://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f50/new-instructions-read-this-before-posting-for-malware-removal-help-305963.html
follow the instructions very carefully; then, post all the requested logs and information; as instructed, in the Virus/Trojan/Spyware Help - Tech Support Forum section of the forum.
(Simply, click on the colored links to be re-directed.)

Please ensure that you create a new thread in the Virus/Trojan/Spyware Help - Tech Support ForumForum; not back here in this one.

When carrying out The Malware Removal Steps, if you cannot complete any of them for whatever reason, just continue on with the next one until they are all completed.
However,it is extremely important to make mention of the fact that you could not complete any of the steps in your post to the Virus/Trojan/Spyware Help - Tech Support Forum Forum; where an Analyst will assist you with other workarounds.

Once done, please be patient, as the Security Team Analysts are usually very busy; one of them will answer your request as soon as they can.

One final thought. Reset her Internet Explorer settings Advanced>Restore Defaults. There's a chance someone "messed" with her computer.

The stability of an OS is in direct proportion to the stability of the user.
Old 12-27-2012, 10:45 PM   #7
UX | Angular Consultant

My System

Send a message via Skype™ to Babbzzz

Quote:
Originally Posted by spike mckee View Post
No anti virus on there and the only firewall is windows.
You need an AV.

I suggest you Download: Microsoft Security Essentials - Microsoft Download Center - Download Details

Windows Firewall is a sufficient firewall.

Follow Corday's advice & get your scan logs cleared.

You might be interested in reading https://www.techsupportforum.com/foru...ed-525915.html

Stay Safe!

Submit New Articles Here

Linux User #565010

It's never about how good you are, it's about how much you can change lives.
Closed Thread