Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

User Tag List

HP Pavilion a6220n - replace Vista with XP

This is a discussion on HP Pavilion a6220n - replace Vista with XP within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. My sister just purchased a new HP Pavillion a6220n with Vista installed. She can no longer run some of her

Closed Thread

Old 03-23-2008, 11:04 AM   #1

My sister just purchased a new HP Pavillion a6220n with Vista installed. She can no longer run some of her specialized design software for her craft business as it requires XP. She does not like the Vista in any case. She bought the HP at Staples Office Depot. Can you normally take the PC back in and have them install XP? If not, what is the process for unistalling Vista and loading XP? Is this recommended?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-23-2008, 11:25 AM   #2
Troubled

you can special order hp with xppro on it.call hp and see what they can do for her.or you can go online and chat with support.
https://ipgweb.cce.hp.com/ipgna/calle...&lang=en&cc=us
It will take a lot of work to get drivers for all the hardware on a laptop.
Old 03-23-2008, 11:47 AM   #3
Security Team
Visiting Trainee (247)

yeah you can install the xp on the vista machine as mentioned you will need the driver that can be found at driverguide.com. one thing to take in consideration is that the graphics hard or ethernet might not support xp. the new laptops or pcs that built are mainly for vs and the do not work on xp. you can ask the store to make sure and clarify with them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-23-2008, 12:00 PM   #4
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Rothwell View Post
My sister just purchased a new HP Pavillion a6220n with Vista installed. She can no longer run some of her specialized design software for her craft business as it requires XP. She does not like the Vista in any case. She bought the HP at Staples Office Depot. Can you normally take the PC back in and have them install XP? If not, what is the process for unistalling Vista and loading XP? Is this recommended?
Hi David!

Actually, downgrading the OS is not a recommended options at all. HP does not support the downgrading process nowadays. And also, bear in mind, by downgrading the OS, you might void your computer warranty. Therefore, it is highly not recommended to downgrade at all.

But, in case you still want to downgrade, you can do it on your own. You can purchase an retail XP disc, and install it on the computer. Then, you have to search up and down for the driver, over the internet in order to get all the peripherals on the computer to working fine again (especially the audio, network card, and graphic). You can check with Staples Office Depot whether they can do it for you, since you bought the computer from them. If they didn't support on this, you have to do it on your own

Hope that clears up everything
Old 03-23-2008, 11:16 PM   #5
Troubled

you can special order a hp laptop with xppro on it.I've seen it done, this year.
hope that clears that up.
Old 03-25-2008, 12:42 PM   #6
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitech View Post
you can special order a hp laptop with xppro on it.I've seen it done, this year.
hope that clears that up.
hitech, the computer you mentioned is called the CTO computer (configure-to-order computer), and that means you have to purchase this type of computer (where you can configure the operating system on it). Otherwise, if it is not a CTO computer, you can only use the pre-shipped OS that came with it. Here's the HP Pavilion a6220n page:

HP Pavilion a6220n Specifications

HP Pavilion a6220n Drivers