Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

User Tag List

How to make my to make my C which says removeable disk to my H drive?

This is a discussion on How to make my to make my C which says removeable disk to my H drive? within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hello Please be patient I know enough about computers but not the terms or anything. I had vista at first

Closed Thread

Old 10-18-2010, 09:37 PM   #1
Registered Member

Hello Please be patient I know enough about computers but not the terms or anything. I had vista at first then got a virus long story short my uncle removed everything then put XP back on. I dont really understand why its important for a drive to be a certain letter my hard drive H the removeanle disk is C Im working from home and was told I need my internet explorer and certain things on my C drive. First off what is the difference and is this possible Ive been up for hours looking but I am not sure and cant get a hold of my uncle. Please let me know what needs to be done. Thank you all in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-18-2010, 10:46 PM   #2
Troubled

It's easy to change the removable drive's drive letter name.

Start>Control Panel>Administrative Tools>Computer Management>Disk Managment

Right-click the removable drive's graph and select "Change Drive Letter and Paths" and change the letter.

Do not change the drive letter of your boot drive. If you do, none of your programs will work, your computer may not even boot, and you'll be reinstalling XP all over again.

The time to deal with the boot drive not being C: was before/during the installation. Now it's too late, unless you want to reinstall. It's inconvenient and annoying, but almost everything will work just fine. I've read about some programs not working, but have never seen it first-hand. It's possible it never happens, and the people that are saying this are just repeating some kind of "urban myth".

If you HAVE to change the boot drive, you'll need to reinstall XP.
Old 10-19-2010, 05:51 AM   #3
Registered Member

That is the problem the drive that needs to be changed is the boot drive from H to C ,ugh im frustarted I dont know what the big deal is when it hasn't given me any problems and now I have to buy and install XP again right?this job has me so upset when they shouldve told me first hand... is there a way to do this without me having to go out and buy another disk? thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-19-2010, 05:54 AM   #4
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonny Robot View Post
It's easy to change the removable drive's drive letter name.

Start>Control Panel>Administrative Tools>Computer Management>Disk Managment

Right-click the removable drive's graph and select "Change Drive Letter and Paths" and change the letter.

Do not change the drive letter of your boot drive. If you do, none of your programs will work, your computer may not even boot, and you'll be reinstalling XP all over again.

The time to deal with the boot drive not being C: was before/during the installation. Now it's too late, unless you want to reinstall. It's inconvenient and annoying, but almost everything will work just fine. I've read about some programs not working, but have never seen it first-hand. It's possible it never happens, and the people that are saying this are just repeating some kind of "urban myth".

If you HAVE to change the boot drive, you'll need to reinstall XP.
oh i see i have to reinstall, ugh this is making me say forget that job, they saw how my system was before I spent all this money printing and faxing papers when they saw i had drive H as my boot drive they shoulda said it then
Old 10-19-2010, 09:34 AM   #5
Troubled

Why would you have to "buy" something. If you installed XP once, you have already paid for it.

What are you paying for ?

If you paid someone to install XP with the boot drive as "H:", they need to do it again or give you your money back. Only an amateur would do that, and we don't pay amateurs money for poor quality work.

Who is "they" that say you HAVE to have the boot drive as "C:"? Most of the "they" that I know are ignorant people that repeat the last dumb thing someone said to them as if they know something.

It's annoying and inconvenient to have your boot drive as being something other than C:. but unless a software won't install or run there is no reason you HAVE to change it.

What is the exact reason why it "must" change?

Also, you may read posts about how it's possible to change the boot drive letter from <something else> to "C:". Trust me, I've done it, and I've read many stories from other people, it's one big disaster. If for some reason you HAVE to have your boot drive as "C:", you are going to have to reinstall XP.
Old 10-19-2010, 10:25 AM   #6
TSF Emeritus

There is no need to change your present drive setup unless you plan on installing much older apps that only saw c: as a place to install.

If you do plan on reinstalling first remove all usb devices/card readers so they are not allocated c: which appears to be what happened when your uncle reinstalled.
Old 10-20-2010, 09:04 AM   #7
Registered Member

Yea jonny im stuck i cant get the computer to my uncle is the problem and i asked myself why would he assign that, although i dont get why its so important i dont have any problems with my system i could problem
Old 10-20-2010, 09:07 AM   #8
Registered Member

and the at home company saw this the first time and didnt say a thing then goes on to tell me kimberly your oerating sytem is on your h drive it needs to be on the c drive im like why wouldnt you tell me this before making me go through these hoops headache after headache to tell me this and then not tell me anything other than idk how to do that figure it out @wanderer thank you for the info as well.
Closed Thread