Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

How to get Win XP SP1 up to date?

4K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  CriticalPoint 
#1 ·
Hi,

I reformatted my hard drive and reinstalled Win XP from my original install CD. It is SP1. I have spent four hours trying to get it updated to SP 3, and have just become sick of beating my head against the wall. Automatic updates isn't working for some reason. When I go to Windows update site, it says that Win XP can't access that site with Win XP as my OS. I've found download links for SP1a but they won't work because I can't access the server. To make matters even easier, I tried to upgrade IE to version 8, it failed and now I don't have IE on the computer anymore, so I can't access some Microsoft sites. I can re-install IE I think, but I am at a complete loss about how to get Win XP up to date, and it seems that without the latest SP, none of my drivers are going to work correctly. Can anyone help me?

Thanks,

Chris Buhl

#2 ·
Chris, first off, you can't really uninstall IE without serious complications. You probably just have IE6 now. You can't get IE8 until you have at least SP2. You can't load SP3 without Sp2. However, you don't need SP1a to download SP2.
So, download SP2 When that is done, then get all of the .Net Frameworks installed from 1.1 to 4.5 and and then can install IE8

#3 ·
Also, (sorry for diving in here Spunk), Chris; if you look in updates applied, IE9 shows as 'Windows Internet Explorer 9', so worth knowing that it's well hidden!

/ Crit

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.