Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

User Tag List

How to find and edit the boot.Ini file, and if it will solve boot loop

This is a discussion on How to find and edit the boot.Ini file, and if it will solve boot loop within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. hi guys...am new here... two months ago i ran the msconfig and i guess i messed up with the boot.ini

Closed Thread

Old 05-04-2016, 10:08 AM   #1
Registered Member

hi guys...am new here...
two months ago i ran the msconfig and i guess i messed up with the boot.ini file...now my pc had been in a boot loop since then.i have looked for solutions and found them but due to no support for xp,most methods have not been successfull.
and now i read about editing the boot.ini file and decided to enslave my hard drive on a friend's pc so that i can edit the file...
now my question is how to find the file after i enslave it on the pc,and if i edit the file i will be able to boot the pc successfully once more??

i surely appreciate any replies,for real....peace and thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-04-2016, 01:39 PM   #2
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Rather then edit the boot.ini file, put the drive back into the troubled computer, and boot off an XP CD or USB Flash drive. Get to the Recovery Console then try these commands to fix the boot sector: 103 - Fix or Repair XP if it is not booting (using the XP Recovery Console) - RMPrepUSB
Old 05-07-2016, 09:09 PM   #3
Registered Member

Cry

Quote:
Originally Posted by spunk.funk View Post
Rather then edit the boot.ini file, put the drive back into the troubled computer, and boot off an XP CD or USB Flash drive. Get to the Recovery Console then try these commands to fix the boot sector: 103 - Fix or Repair XP if it is not booting (using the XP Recovery Console) - RMPrepUSB
i have tried using USB as bootable many times but mostly i get an error that "An operating system wasn't found"...worst part is finding someone with a windows xp CD...
i tried the editing of the windows through another pc but got nothing, just that the boot.ini file wasn't there,i replaced it but still same same problem... so now i think i should seriously look for a CD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-07-2016, 10:03 PM   #4
Moderator TSF
Hardware Team Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony_k View Post
i have tried using USB as bootable many times but mostly i get an error that "An operating system wasn't found"...worst part is finding someone with a windows xp CD...
i tried the editing of the windows through another pc but got nothing, just that the boot.ini file wasn't there,i replaced it but still same same problem... so now i think i should seriously look for a CD
Niaje?

You need an XP installation disc. Chances are that PC is old and may not boot from usb even if that option is present in BIOS.
Old 05-08-2016, 03:59 AM   #5
Registered Member

Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stancestans View Post
Niaje?

You need an XP installation disc. Chances are that PC is old and may not boot from usb even if that option is present in BIOS.
poa...
i guess that's the simplest option but the hardest requirement to find in this era....
Old 05-08-2016, 01:49 PM   #6
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

you can get a Windows XP CD from Ebay. windows XP CD | eBay
Old 05-13-2016, 06:50 AM   #7
Registered Member

so i had to install the windows xp again and installed sp3 which am really liking so far,i think mine was sp2....plus the hard disk had two partitions which i installed it on partition 1,lost a few files and luckily data on partition 2 was still intact....
POINT TO NOTE:NEVER GO MESSING WITH FILES THAT YOU DON'T KNOW THE CONSEQUENCES,IT MAY MESS YOU BIG TIME
Old 05-13-2016, 07:42 AM   #8
Moderator TSF
Hardware Team Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony_k View Post
POINT TO NOTE:NEVER GO MESSING WITH FILES THAT YOU DON'T KNOW THE CONSEQUENCES,IT MAY MESS YOU BIG TIME
Yes! If only people wouldn't tinker instead of just using their computers. It goes without saying that you should always keep a recent backup of important files and a recovery system image for when disaster strikes.
Old 05-14-2016, 05:48 AM   #9
Registered Member

true true....
learnt a lesson the hard way,plus had to install even the recovery console to appear while starting the comp,tried it and it worked....so i guess this is solved
Old 05-14-2016, 12:55 PM   #10
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Quote:
This should be a big sticker on the front of every computer.
Great that you sorted it, please mark this thread Solved in the Thread Tools at the top.
Attached Images