Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

User Tag List

How can I bacup my computer in Safe Mode. Blue Screen after Microsoft SP3 installed

This is a discussion on How can I bacup my computer in Safe Mode. Blue Screen after Microsoft SP3 installed within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi, On Sunday, my computer did its normal automatic windows update, it restarted and then began looping. I have tried

Closed Thread

Old 12-02-2008, 11:16 AM   #1

Suprised

Hi,

On Sunday, my computer did its normal automatic windows update, it restarted and then began looping. I have tried everything, running my Norton Anti-virus, nothing found. I have gone into msconfig and disabled everything, it still will not start and stay on. I have gone into the registry and changed a value from 1 to 4 following directions to fix this, to no avail. Since I have run out of ideas and my laptop will not go on the Internet for some reason, I can go into Safe Mode, but not Safe Mode with Networking, I cannot back up my machine. So my question is, if there is no solution to this, how can I use my external back up in Safe Mode if it will not recognize my Maxtor 1 button back up? I am a photographer and I have not backed up my info in over 2 weeks and I have purchased a ton of iTunes over Thanksgiving that is not backed up. I need to back up my machine before I restore it if that is the only solution.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thank you,

Marina
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-02-2008, 11:39 AM   #2

Hello ,

here is a link that does a great job of doing back ups

https://www.majorgeeks.com/DriveImage_XML_d4919.html

you should beable to install it from a cd or thumb drive

it is very user friendly

but when you start to go into safe mode do you see the entry for (Last Known Configuaration That Worked )

well if your system just did updates then this would restore your system back to just befor the updates were installed and you wont loose anything

now your system / is it a store bought as in a HP/Dell/Acer ?
if it is and you installed SP3 to wich caused this loop cycle then you need a patch that you need to run befor installing (SP3) to shut certain drivers down so that you can install SP3

does your system have a AMD processor ? normally this issue happens with mobo's with these processors But its not the processors fault it is the manufacturers fault as with HP put both driver files on their systems for AMD & Intel to wich is the culprit to this issue

I have lost my link and will get it from one of my other techs for i have upgraded to a new system and having to transfer files & links to it but that link got corrupted

let me know
Old 12-02-2008, 12:21 PM   #3

Hi Mike,

Thank you for the quick response. I have a Sony Vaio VGN-A290 bought directly from SonyStyle.com

I did try last good known configuration, I tried restoring to an earlier point, which to my surprise actually said that it was successfully restored, but it was not, it continued to loop.

The link you gave me, will I need the Internet? because as I said, it will not let me go into Safe Mode with Networking. As of right now, I can only go into Safe Mode or msconfig and do Diagnostic Startup, but even then, it will not see my wireless network, it will not detect my Maxtor 1 button back up and when I put my Windows XP Pro CD in the optical drive to try to repair it, it tells me that the version installed n my computer is newer than the one on the CD, which I do not know how that is possible.

I really need to back up my info and I do not want to go to Fry's Electronics to spend $150.00 when I have my back up drive and they don't even back up everything I need.

Please let me know if you have any more information to help me back up my computer.

Thank you Mike,

Marina
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-02-2008, 03:17 PM   #4

hello,

you can download it to the pc that you are working on

then burn it to cd or transfer to a usb thumb drive

then start your puter and go to safe mode

then install the program / it is a exe file that install the whole program with out having to go to the internet /but you have to get it from the internet

it is a self contained program that is free / all you have to do is select were you want to back up to and what you want to back up and it will do it

but then if i was you i would scan anything befor you reinstall it to your system after it is up & running to make sure there are no infections that will put you back into the same situation that you are in now

just read the programs instructions
Old 12-02-2008, 08:24 PM   #5

Thank you Mike, I am going to give it a try. I will let you know if it is successful.
Closed Thread