Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

User Tag List

Holding power button won't shut down computer

This is a discussion on Holding power button won't shut down computer within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. My laptop generally has some freezing problems, but it has reached a new low. It froze up tonight after I

Closed Thread

Old 02-14-2009, 08:52 PM   #1

My laptop generally has some freezing problems, but it has reached a new low. It froze up tonight after I brought it back from idle mode. The mouse and such froze, so like I usually do, I was going to manually shut it down and reboot. However, holding the power button for no matter how long will do nothing. Nothing I push on the keyboard responds at all.

The weird thing is, the computer itself continued to go through the process of going to the screensaver and then back into idle mode. Any idea what I can do?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-14-2009, 09:01 PM   #2

Unplug the AC, and remove the battery. Wait 10 minutes. Insert the battery, plug in the AC and try to start the laptop.

Press the "F8" key repeatedly immediately after turning the laptop on. At the menu screen, select "Safe Mode".

If you can get to Safe Mode, navigate to

Start>Settings>Control Panel>System>Hardware>Device Manager and click "show hidden devices".

Report any flagged devices here.
Old 02-14-2009, 09:12 PM   #3

The only thing that seems to be flagged is

Security Processor Loader Driver
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-14-2009, 09:22 PM   #4

Post the specs (make & model number) of the laptop.

Uninstall the device. Then navigate to My Computer>C:>Properites>Check Now, select "automatically fix ..." and schedule a dskchk. Then reboot. Watch chkdsk run on reboot, and pay attention to if it finds errors and fixes them, or not. The screen goes by very fast, so pay attention.

Report if XP finds the device again. If it does, is it still flagged, or does it install normally ?

Make sure to click "show hidden devices". Report any flagged devices.

Try to boot to normal mode.

If you can get there, navigate Start>Run>(type)"msconfig".

Turn off all non-microsoft services, and turn off everything in "Startup".

Reboot in what is called "Selective Startup" mode. Navigate to Start>Settings>Control Panel>Administrative Tools>Event Viewer.

Report any error messages that are 1) Chronic, 2) Appear to be significant in "System" and "Applications". If you missed the report from chkdsk, you will find it here. Report if chkdsk found any errors and fixed them.
Old 03-19-2009, 12:08 AM   #5

This happened to me as well, and i just waited until the battery died, recharged it and turned it back on, its been fine ever since.
Old 03-19-2009, 02:03 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undedted View Post
This happened to me as well, and i just waited until the battery died, recharged it and turned it back on, its been fine ever since.
There may be a mimimum threshold of voltage (or power) that the power button needs in order to successfully send a "turn off" signal. My thinking at first was that the laptop was so busy spinning it's wheels on a hardware/driver issue that it didn't have the time to notice someone was trying to turn it off, or that it was trying to turn itself off, but some hardware and or driver issues were keeping it from doing so.
Closed Thread