Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

User Tag List

Help Please: Windows XP won't load...

This is a discussion on Help Please: Windows XP won't load... within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Help Please: Windows XP wont load... I last used my old Windows XP PC about 3 month ago, and it

Closed Thread

Old 12-20-2017, 04:26 AM   #1
Registered Member

Help Please: Windows XP wont load...

I last used my old Windows XP PC about 3 month ago, and it was working fine.
I came to use it today, and I get a black screen with various bits of info on it,
ending with the following message: 'disk boot failure, insert system disk and press enter'

I checked the system settings, which show that:
a: The date has gone back to Jan 2003.
b: The drive order is: HDD, DVD-RW, DVD-R

So I replaced the Clock battery, reset the date and time, switched-off and then I rebooted,
and now the date and time has stayed correct, but I still get the same black screen and message.

I have the manufacturers original disk supplied with the PC, labelled: OS Installation Disk
And it also says:
'The software included on this Recovery CD-ROM was pre-installed on your hard drive at the factory and may only be used for backup'

I did try booting with this in the drive, but it seems like this wants to do a new install, which I don't want to have to do.

So how can I resolve this problem?

Many thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-20-2017, 04:55 AM   #2
Team Manager
Microsoft Support

OS: Windows10. In the past CP/M, DOS, Windows 95, 2000, 98SE, ME, Vista & Windows 7

My System

If your personal stuff is already backed up or unneeded as you were able to get by for three months , a new install would be a good idea. A boot disc would only get you to the point you are already at, unless you get lucky.

The stability of an OS is in direct proportion to the stability of the user.
Old 12-20-2017, 05:09 AM   #3
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corday View Post
If your personal stuff is already backed up or unneeded as you were able to get by for three months , a new install would be a good idea. A boot disc would only get you to the point you are already at, unless you get lucky.
Hi Corday,
Many thanks for the reply...
Well I still have stuff on there, data & extra programs that I couldn't replace.

I'm assuming that it was a duff CMOS battery that has caused this problem?
So now that I've replaced the battery, why doesn't the PC boot correctly, if it's because the start-up-chip has lost its original boot info, why can't this be easily replaced?

I seem to remember that this could easily be resolved (in Windows 95/98) with a boot-disk, so why not Windows-XP?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-20-2017, 07:53 AM   #4
Registered Member

1. Remove all the CDs from both CD drives , ( NO CDs should be there in any CD/DVD drive ) it seems it’s confusing with wrong CD and trying to boot from that. ( sometimes even if it's right CD, you need to open and close the door 2-3 times to let it properly recognized, - always happens with mine )

2. IMO< Don’t mess with battery, it always shows and brings those kinda a low battery messages, when such things happens,… In 90 percent case it's not battery,..

3. Release and re-insert yr internal hard driver’s two cords and make sure connection is not loose of any cords, from mother board to HD, also video/sound card/memory should not be obvious loose.

4. If yr computer is dell, press F2 ( or so ) to go to Bios /Setup ( if possible to press F2 at Dell logo ) and press “ Drives” at the bottom “ SATA operations” and make sure it is on AHIC most probably it needs ( Or, check it replacing to ATA and viceversa if it has changed accidentally ) Also try pressing F8 and if safemode is possible,..

5. Insert the ORG CD and ( press F2 or F12 and in set up, force to boot from that CD - need to open and close CD door 2-3 times, to let PC know that right CD is in ) get C: prompt and apply chkdsk /r ( it will take 15+ minutes ) and see if it solves,.. ( read below link it has all solutions )

If not go with further steps,.. Spunk.funk said in below thread,.. about other boot fixing commands, discussed in detail here,…( below link )

6. Describe yr PC and system and all in as much detail as you can, for someone to help,..

PS : I am not an expert here,.. seek for the opinions of Spunk, and read our latest discussion thread which has a wealth of info, here.. which applies to your case, very well too. Good luck.

https://www.techsupportforum.com/foru...m-1211753.html

If you have org CD from which OS was installed, don worry about making Boot CD and such,...

If you drive is WDC / Seagate,... seek for free copy of a boot CD ( Diagnostic ) or floppy to make, which can check the physical damage ( bytes and bad sectors, pov ) and let you know if magnetic media or HDD went bad,.. Call them toll free or it's on their web site for free ( for physical disorder only - no Software point-of-view damage it will find )

Also feel yr internal HDD, ( with fingers ) that motor / disc inside, is giving you a feel of rotating when turned ON or not,..
Old 12-20-2017, 08:44 AM   #5
Registered Member

Chk yr connection of Monitor to the CPU and all,…. that nthg is loose,… ( all inside of CPU and outside connections be secured,…)

In Google search box,.. by typing,..

western digital hard drive diagnostic test
or
Seagate seatools Hard disk diagnostic tools for windows

Find the area to burn that CD,……( their toll free numbers, also helps free, to properly burn a good CD forever , or can be installed in an another working computer, where you can test this drive as secondary )

And download and make CD, it will boot from BIOS
and can check any HDD Physically ( from outside the windows ) ( if damaged in bytes/sectors – not software point-of-view ) and it can do quick and long tests giving the results.,…

You can use, any of the above two software for any of the HDD ( not necessarily for their own ‘Makes’ only )

Though DO Chkdsk /r, fixboot, fix MBR and such commands in sequence first, as explained in above link ( in above post ) on page 3 or 4 somewhere, by Spunk.Funk.

You can also take that HDD to other computer put it in Dock / Docking station / secondary HD or even can buy a small wire which connects from SATA to USB, and plug it in USB port like any flash drive,. To se,.. if it’s recognized as a secondary drive in another PC,… also can recover the data and important first. ( ask Bestbuy/staples/ oficemax /officedepot or on e-bay,.... they keep these accessories,.. )

Old 12-20-2017, 11:10 AM   #6
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

This sounds like your HDD has failed, or is in the process of failing, or it just may be the Boot sector is messed up because of the failed CMOS battery.
As previously suggested, on another computer, you can download the ISO image for Seatools, Burn the image to CD using IMGBurn, or to USB Flash Drive with SeaFlash, all available in my signature. If booting from the CD, first Boot into Setup (Bios) go to the Boot order and move the DVD drive that you want to use to First Boot Device, Save and Exit. If booting from Flash drive, see if there is a USB Device to boot from in the Bios.
Once you boot from the Seatools media, run the Short and Long Diagnostic tests on the HDD. If either test fails, the HDD needs to be replaced. If the HDD tests good, there are commands by booting with the XP Recovery CD and getting to the Recovery Console. Or you can do a Clean Install of XP.
Also, as has been stated before you do any of that, backup your stuff. You can create an Ubuntu Live CD and backup your files to an External USB HDD. Or, as stated, you can remove the HDD and attach it to a working computer with a USB Adapter, Dock or Enclosure with a power adapter and save the files to that computer.
Old 12-20-2017, 01:46 PM   #7
Registered Member

^ To download ubuntu, the link for downloading is not working,...
Old 12-20-2017, 02:27 PM   #8
Team Manager
Microsoft Support

OS: Windows10. In the past CP/M, DOS, Windows 95, 2000, 98SE, ME, Vista & Windows 7

My System

If you're signed into TSF it should work. Try again.

The stability of an OS is in direct proportion to the stability of the user.
Old 12-20-2017, 02:32 PM   #9
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

This link works for me, but here is another
https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/wind...dows-computer/
Old 12-20-2017, 06:10 PM   #10
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spunk.funk View Post
This link works for me, but here is another
https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/wind...dows-computer/

404: Page not found.
Old 12-20-2017, 06:24 PM   #11
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

again,this link works. What browser are you using? Go to Control Panel/Internet Options and Clear your internet cache (Delete Browsing History) What Security Software are you using?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Clear_Cache_in_Internet_Explorer-02.png
Views:	49
Size:	41.2 KB
ID:	317466  
Old 12-20-2017, 06:50 PM   #12
Registered Member

Page opens,...but download link does not,...

I tried IE 8, FF 52.5.2, GC 49.2623.112

All securities software are OFF
Old 12-20-2017, 09:40 PM   #13
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Try this: https://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop
Also, the other two previous links take you to the Ubuntu page with the 404 error, from there go up to the toolbar to Downloads/Ubuntu Desktop and it will take you to the same download link as the one above. If not, just Google it.
Old 12-21-2017, 06:44 AM   #14
Registered Member

Quote:
This sounds like your HDD has failed, or is in the process of failing, or it just may be the Boot sector is messed up because of the failed CMOS battery.
As previously suggested, on another computer, you can download the ISO image for Seatools, Burn the image to CD using IMGBurn, .
Hi, As suggested:
I downloaded Seatools (file: SeaToolsDOS223ALL.ISO) & IMGBurn.
I Burnt the image to a CD using IMGBurn.
I followed the info in help file: SeaToolsDOSguide.EN.pdf
...as follows:

Step 2. Using SeaTools:

A. Reboot your system:
My PC booted to the CD (see my image 1)

However: There are no drives displayed in the textbox, at the top of the lefthand column!
...so I clicked on the [I Accept] button, at the bottom of the page.

B. Select Drives to Test.
The next screen appears (see my image 2)
which shows info about my drive,
...and in its last line, of the last section title: Test Information & results
it says: Device Scan complete

C. Select the Tests to Run.
A menu of the possible diagnostic tests is shown.
Select the tests that you would like to perform.

HOWEVER: I couldn't do 'C' because no such menus are displayed?

So has this drive been tested as suggested by 'Device Scan complete' ?

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	PICT_1.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	206.2 KB
ID:	317482   Click image for larger version

Name:	PICT_2.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	171.9 KB
ID:	317490  
Old 12-21-2017, 09:09 AM   #15
Registered Member

I had the same problem long ago that I remember,…. that I had used DOS version ( which is old ) taking advanced test of 30+ minutes,.. and at the end, it was not showing what happened ( what error or where the log ) and she ( seagate tech ) had shown me, some tricks for that,… i remember, it was smthg like,...

Somewhere you type at c: prompt,

view *.log
readme
copy *.log b: ( B is yr floppy drive )

https://www.seagate.com/files/static...-dos-guide.pdf

------------------------------

Best bet be,… Use Seagate for windows,..

This is their own website, [ In first column last link is “seatools for windows “ you can install in other working computer

Study this web page, for what to do - https://www.seagate.com/support/downloads/seatools/

Read this what to do,…
How to use SeaTools for Windows

----------------

Other useful links, ( Of Seagate ) to look into,. :

https://www.seagate.com/files/www-co...dows-en-us.pdf

https://www.seagate.com/manuals/inno...l-windows-only

https://www.seagate.com/search/?keyw...0for%20windows

-------------------------

160GB Seagate drive costs 8 dollars around on E-bay with shipping, and I had also bought 5-7, a month+ ago,…. ( to make mirror copies in docking stn , to be safe ) If you have any important data, somehow recover first using it as secondary drive, copy all bookmarks,..and then burn whole new system on it, from a single CD of winXP SP 3 ( free link, discussed earlier - worked great for me. )

Or, Buy the another used drive of 160GB and mirror it first ( borrowing docking station from around computer stores ) before doing anything else..

IMO, since the drive is recognized, so most probably with da ORG CD of WIN XP, you can get dos prompt ( booting from that ) and can do chkdsk /r, few other commands in RC,... and if still not working , then “ force repair install “ ( not the fresh install by formatting ) to fix it. Do you get Dell logo or WinXP logo,.. or No-nothing, when booting,...?? - just the black screen with errors,... ?

---------------------------------------------------
Old 12-21-2017, 09:32 AM   #16
Registered Member

Quote:
Try this: https://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop
Also, the other two previous links take you to the Ubuntu page with the 404 error, from there go up to the toolbar to Downloads/Ubuntu Desktop and it will take you to the same download link as the one above. If not, just Google it.
Yup,. This is the link, it worked,…

https://www.ubuntu.com/download/desk...itecture=amd64

It’s 1.5GB, so will need a DVD to burn it,… it says amd64,.. so just wondered, will it work for XP’s 32 Bit system ?
Old 12-21-2017, 11:26 AM   #17
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Once Seatools detects your drive it starts doing the test. You will see a progress bar (as pictured) You have to leave it alone. If it is failing, then the test will take a very long time
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	post-283588-1241751942.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	150.2 KB
ID:	317498  
Attached Images

Old 12-21-2017, 11:39 AM   #18
Registered Member

I burnt the DVD for ubuntu. It's for 64 Bit and above, ( did not work for my WIN XP, showing me that as an error,...though it will be useful later anyway, at some stage,.. ) so, do not try burning it, if yr WIN XP is also 32 bits.
Old 12-26-2017, 08:29 AM   #19
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakesh15 View Post
I burnt the DVD for ubuntu. It's for 64 Bit and above, ( did not work for my WIN XP, showing me that as an error,...though it will be useful later anyway, at some stage,.. ) so, do not try burning it, if yr WIN XP is also 32 bits.
Take to your local computer repair. I don’t know how many times similar HD problems have been solved with a small wooden hammer having tapped the center spindle, allowing the disc to spin up after a long hiatus from frequent use.

The HD will continue to have problems, so have it backed up and install onto a new HD, hopefully compatible with your old computer...

HTH...
Old 12-26-2017, 12:39 PM   #20
Registered Member

This is probably advice coming too late, but I've had great success with Steve Gibson's "Spinrite" in recovering failing HDDs <https://www.grc.com/sr/spinrite.htm>. It's not free, but I've used it to recover over half a dozen HDDs over the past several years.

Spinrite works on pretty much any HDD, regardless of the OS. If the HDD is close to failure, it will tell you, and hopefully restore it such that you can clone your failing HDD to a replacement HDD, or as a minimum, at least retrieve any and all data that is dear to you.
Closed Thread