Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

User Tag List

Help please: Computer powers up, but will not boot

This is a discussion on Help please: Computer powers up, but will not boot within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Good evening all As you can tell from the title of this topic my computer powers up, but doesnt boot.

Closed Thread

Old 03-03-2007, 12:02 PM   #1

Good evening all

As you can tell from the title of this topic my computer powers up, but doesnt boot. All the fans, graphics card fan and processor fan spin, the fans spin at the same speed, that about it, i cant hear the harddrive doing anything, my pc doesnt recognise my monitor, keyboard the LEDs dont light up when I turn it on same with the mouse.

There are no beeps as well when my Pc is booting up.

My system spec

AMD Athlon 64Bit 3200+
1GB

Only started doing this after i removed the processor, and now when i put the processor back in place the following above happens

Thank you in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-03-2007, 12:25 PM   #2
TSF Enthusiast

Was there a reason for removing the processor to begin with?

Pull the processor again and look VERY CLOSELY at all the little pins. Make sure none of them are bent over. If any of the pins are bent you will need either very small needle nose plires or a sturdy set of tweezers to straighten them. Once you are sure there are no bent pins make sure the processor is fully seated in the socket before you slide the lock over. Also make sure the top of the processor has been cleaned of any old thermal paste.

Once the processor is properly seated and locked down you are going to need a good thermal paste (Arctic Silver maybe?). Put a small bead in the center of the processor then mount the heatsink and clamp that down then mount the fan and make sure the fan is plugged in. If the fan doesn't turn on when you start up turn the PC off and recheck the plug.

Post back with your results.

Lydokane
Old 03-03-2007, 12:29 PM   #3
Happy to support TSF!

My System

Hi wasd66, welcome to TSF..

the only thing I can suggest at this stage is remove the power supply and thoroughly check that everything is connected properly inside the case. Even if it means reseating the RAM, Graphics Card, reapplying thermal paste and reseating the CPU etc. Check that all cables are connected securely and correctly.

Also, once you have done that and can confirm everything is as it should be, make sure all external cables are fitted securely.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-03-2007, 12:30 PM   #4
Moderator Hardware Team

OS: WinME, WinXP Pro SP3, Win7(x64), Linux distros incl. Ubuntu 9.10 & Netbook Remix & CD2USB, Slax6.1

My System

Well lets start by asking afew questions ..

how old is your PC?

what power supply does it have? Manufacturer & wattage please

Have you opened it up to check the "inner sanctum"?? Look to see whether you have any swollen capacitors .. domed tops rather than dead flush (possibly with deliberate indents shaped like "+" or "X" or even "Y")
Ignore those indents and check for swollen tops and possible dark stains.

I'm not old!!
I'm age impaired

D_F

I DON'T PLAY GAMES

HDD DIAG UTILS

TSF's Photographer's Corner

How to Use Ubuntu to Recover Windows files
Old 03-03-2007, 01:14 PM   #5

I took the processor becuase i like to take apart things and put them back together plus i was cleaning my computer, and when I've taken the processor out before and put it back, all things have worked fine afterwards.

I checked the processor and it pins, none of the pins are bent but I just pulled the processor out in anger,and now im missing a pin, but the pin is still in the slot where the processor goes into.

Ive put a new layer of thermal paste on, i still have the same problem. Also now it doesnt stay powered up when i turn it on, shut off after a couple of seconds.

Ive checked all the cable, all fitted in the right place

I have also checked the capacitor, none are swollen
Old 03-03-2007, 01:16 PM   #6
TSF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasd66 View Post

I checked the processor and it pins, none of the pins are bent but I just pulled the processor out in anger,and now im missing a pin, but the pin is still in the slot where the processor goes into.

If a pin has been removed from the processor go to https://www.newegg.com and buy a new processor. I'm fairly certain your processor is now dead.

When you buy the new processor you are going to have to make sure you get the old pin out of the socket before you try to mount the new processor.

Lydokane
Old 03-03-2007, 01:19 PM   #7
Happy to support TSF!

My System

Processors can still run with broken pins
Old 03-03-2007, 01:35 PM   #8
Moderator Hardware Team

OS: WinME, WinXP Pro SP3, Win7(x64), Linux distros incl. Ubuntu 9.10 & Netbook Remix & CD2USB, Slax6.1

My System

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickster_uk View Post
Only if you're extremely lucky and the pin makes a good electrical contact when re-fitted on the socket! Sometimes a pin might break that is not actually used for a connection ( input / output pin) and you would get away with it ..but that is just luck, most pins are put tghere for a purpose, few are fitted just to fill a space ...
Onec you get a broken pin .. chances are that your CPU is scrap. Once you see it doesn't power on properly .. IT IS scrap!

make sure you do as lydokane said and remove the broken pin(s) before mounting a new processor.

I'm not old!!
I'm age impaired

D_F

I DON'T PLAY GAMES

HDD DIAG UTILS

Old 03-03-2007, 01:41 PM   #9
TSF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickster_uk View Post
I was unaware of this. Thank you for the correction.

According to wasd66's last post his PC won't stay on. This could be a PSU issue. Either damaged or not plugged in properly. If you have access to another PSU, you might want to try to swap it out. If you don't have another PSU you can try to test yours try going here: https://www.ochardware.com/articles/p.../psuvolt2.html for a pretty good instructional on testing. You will need a multimeter of course.

I'm still kind of leaning toward the CPU though. I don't suppose you have another that you can put in that computer?

Lydokane
Old 03-03-2007, 01:52 PM   #10
Moderator Hardware Team

My System

I'd back lydokane 100% about the broken pin causing the problem .. remove the pin , fit another CPU and see if it powers on or not .. then start checking out power supply problems plus if it's an old PC, motherboard capacitors etc ..

I'm not old!!
I'm age impaired

D_F

I DON'T PLAY GAMES

HDD DIAG UTILS

Old 03-03-2007, 02:11 PM   #11
Happy to support TSF!

My System

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lydokane View Post
I was unaware of this. Thank you for the correction.

According to wasd66's last post his PC won't stay on. This could be a PSU issue. Either damaged or not plugged in properly. If you have access to another PSU, you might want to try to swap it out. If you don't have another PSU you can try to test yours try going here: https://www.ochardware.com/articles/p.../psuvolt2.html for a pretty good instructional on testing. You will need a multimeter of course.

I'm still kind of leaning toward the CPU though. I don't suppose you have another that you can put in that computer?

Lydokane
It depends on what that pins function is...many of them are ground pins so the processor can still operate with damaged/broken one if it sits perfectly.

However, on the other hand the result could be a completely knackered CPU....and as the machine isn't even staying on right now, this is likely to be the case.
Closed Thread