Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

User Tag List

Help Lost Important Info

This is a discussion on Help Lost Important Info within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. The last time I posted was requesting help with a new rebuild on my computer. Installed a new motherboard, processor,

Closed Thread

Old 06-09-2011, 01:58 PM   #1
Registered Member

The last time I posted was requesting help with a new rebuild on my computer. Installed a new motherboard, processor, etc. Unfortunately, my computer guy seems to have lost all the info I wanted to save. 4 years of tax files for clients etc.

The question I have is there anyway that info can be retrieved maybe thru a back door. The hard drive was accidentally formatted and this info was lost. The thing is that not all the info was lost just my Documents.

I will get you all necessary information specs if you thing we can retrieve the information.

If it lost forever I will be sad, but I will deal with it.

My first post was under conundrum all info about my computer will be under that post.

Thank you for any help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-09-2011, 02:00 PM   #2
TSF Team, Emeritus

If it was just formatted, you may be able to retreive the data using GetDataBack or R-Studio. If a new operating system was installed or any new files added after the format, it will be much more difficult

Old 06-09-2011, 04:28 PM   #3
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Was the Drive Formatted (erased) and then the Windows Installed? or Did the tech just reinstall Windows to the same partition? If it was formatted and Windows was installed, it would have overwritten the area where My Documents was previously. If, as you say, the only things missing are My Documents, then he may have not formatted and just reinstalled Windows.
In that case you would have a new User Profile Name. To see if your old profile name exists, Go to C:\Documents and Settings\here you will see all of the profile names including Administrator, All Users, and Default User. You should also see your original Profile name. Open up this file, then open up the Desktop folder. You should see all of your Desktop icons. Copy the Desktop, Favorites, Start Menu, and My Documents folders to your new profile name folder over writing the empty ones. You may need to Right click these files/Properties and uncheck Hide.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-16-2011, 02:56 AM   #4
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Rich View Post
If it was just formatted, you may be able to retreive the data using GetDataBack or R-Studio. If a new operating system was installed or any new files added after the format, it will be much more difficult
Thanks for the info. I will let you know the results.
Old 06-16-2011, 02:58 AM   #5
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spunk.funk View Post
Was the Drive Formatted (erased) and then the Windows Installed? or Did the tech just reinstall Windows to the same partition? If it was formatted and Windows was installed, it would have overwritten the area where My Documents was previously. If, as you say, the only things missing are My Documents, then he may have not formatted and just reinstalled Windows.
In that case you would have a new User Profile Name. To see if your old profile name exists, Go to C:\Documents and Settings\here you will see all of the profile names including Administrator, All Users, and Default User. You should also see your original Profile name. Open up this file, then open up the Desktop folder. You should see all of your Desktop icons. Copy the Desktop, Favorites, Start Menu, and My Documents folders to your new profile name folder over writing the empty ones. You may need to Right click these files/Properties and uncheck Hide.
Thanks Spunk Funk I will try this also as soon as I can get the darn thing to stay on more then 5 minutes. It keeps dying on me and I thing it is because of the faulty hard drive.
Closed Thread